Loyet Wins Powri National Midget Championship After Series-Leading Fifth Win at Belle-Clair

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
SUNSET HILLS, Mo. (October 8, 2007) – Sunset Hills, Mo. teenager Brad Loyet started and finished the O’Reilly POWRi National Midget Series in the same position – atop the point standings.

With a series-high five victories and a more than 500-point advantage over his nearest competitors, Loyet earned his first career full Midget title Saturday night by winning the “Charlene Meents Memorial” at Belle-Clair Speedway in Belleville, Ill. The race marked the third of the season at the track for the 19-year-old, who drove the No. 05 Loyet Motorsports Horcher Bros. Photography Meramec Heights Collison Center Ford Esslinger/Spike.

A top-five finish in either POWRi race during last weekend would have given Loyet the title, but Loyet did it in true champion fashion – winning. At Belle-Clair, Loyet led 20 of the 30 laps, including the opening four laps and the final 16 after Thomas Meseraull took control between Laps 5 and 16.

But with an inside pass coming off Turn 4, Loyet returned to the lead. By holding off Meseraull at the checkered flag, he landed the title, a season after another Brad – Brad Kuhn – won the championship.

“I wanted to win this race so bad for Jerry and Stephanie Meents,” Loyet said. “We had the car to win even after he (Meseraull) passed us. Once I got by, I realized I just needed to keep the car under me for the second half of the race. As soon as that checkered flag flew, I was pumped. We had a goal to win this title before 2007 ever began. Now, we’ve done it!”

With the championship in the bag, Loyet was without pressure heading into Sunday evening’s “Bob Wente Classic” at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Ill. Loyet, a veteran of Tri-City in past seasons in both the Midgets and Micro-Sprints, started the evening with a heat victory. In the feature, Loyet was reeling in Jerry Coons Jr. near the end when he ran wide and hit the outside wall. The car flipped, ending Loyet’s night after another possible victory.

“We were coming,” Loyet said Monday. “It’s too bad we couldn’t have ended the season the way we started and the way we won the championship, but that’s racing sometimes. It was a hard flip, but I’m feeling okay now.”

For Loyet, the championship was one that came in a rollercoaster-type POWRi season. Loyet began the season in April by winning at Morgan County Speedway in Jacksonville, Ill., and added a victory in May at Belle-Clair. Winning at Lee County Speedway in Donnelsville, Iowa gave Loyet a third triumph, but the next evening, Loyet’s season was nearly turned upside down.

Loyet was involved in a hard flip during the “Knoxville Midget Nationals” at Knoxville (Iowa) Raceway in USAC National Midget Car Series competition. He was hospitalized for a few days, and spent a month out of competition, preparing to return to a four-race swing in Kansas, including the “Belleville Midget Nationals.”

The accident didn’t deter Loyet’s efforts. He missed only one POWRi race, and after sitting in third in points heading into August, Loyet regained confidence for a title run. Following the double-points race at the Southern Illinois Center in DuQuoin, Ill., Loyet returned to the championship lead and steadily pulled away. He was never challenged again.

The season was filled with success not only for the driver, but also Loyet’s father, Joe Loyet, who wrapped up the car owner championship. In addition, the pair got a major boost with crew chief Rusty Kunz, the multiple-time “Chili Bowl Nationals” and “Belleville Midget Nationals” champion.

“I have to thank Rusty, Billy (Bland), JC (Bland) and Duane (Moore) for all that they’ve done to help us win this championship,” Loyet said. “They made the car easy to drive every night. They also work so hard in the shop so this win was truly a team effort.”

Overall, Loyet said the championship was the biggest of his young career. Loyet hopes to contend for the POWRi title again in 2008, as well as the USAC National Midget crown.

“We’re looking forward to not only finishing out this season, but carrying what we did into next season,” Loyet said. “Still, however, there’s some unfinished business.”

Indeed. While Loyet has garnered the POWRi championship trophy, there are still two races Loyet looks forward to winning. USAC National Midget Car Series races on the pavement – the “Copper World Classic” at Phoenix International Raceway and the “Turkey Night Grand Prix” at Irwindale Speedway – loom in November. Both races boast impressive winner lists – including many that have gone onto the IndyCar Series and NASCAR – and Loyet hopes to join them with his first USAC National Midget Car Series triumph.

“I’m already ready to get back in the saddle after this weekend’s success,” Loyet said. “We’ll be back on the pavement, which is extremely exciting. We’re building two new pavement cars for those races, and I know having had some success on the pavement this season, we’re going to be a threat. I can’t wait to be out West.”

CAR INFORMATION: No. 05 Loyet Motorsports Spike (Chassis) Ford Esslinger (Engine) – Dirt

No. 05 Loyet Motorsports Beast (Chassis) Ford Esslinger (Engine) – Pavement

For more information about Loyet Motorsports, visit www.bradloyet.com or contact Joe Loyet, loyetmotorsports@hotmail.com or 314-280-9335.

Back