Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Report; Kentucky Lake Tidbits

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
CORONA, CA (May 9, 2007)-The Inaugural Superchips “Diamond Nationals” Presented by O’Reilly Auto Parts is set to take place on Friday and Saturday, May 11 and 12 at the “Diamond of the Dirt Tracks” the Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, MO. The two day event will culminate on Saturday Night, May 12 with the $25,000 to win event for the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series which is sanctioning the event. The total purse exceeds $100,000. The cameras of SPEED Channel will also be on hand to tape the event which will be shown on a date and time to be announced in the future.

Activities will begin on Thursday, May 10 with an open practice session scheduled. Also on Thursday Night will be a special Go-Kart Challenge between Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series drivers. The preliminary action will get underway at 6:00 PM Central Time on Friday Night, May 11 with Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series hot laps followed by LifeLong Locks Time Trials. The Hawk Brake and Quarter Master Heat Races will be run with the number of heats determined by the number of entrants on hand.

On Saturday Night, May 12 the evening will kick off with a special autograph session for the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series drivers. The on track action will then see the Mason Racin’ Rebel Shock Dyno and Penske Shocks B-mains take place. The Superchips “Diamond Nationals” A-main will then take to the 3/8ths mile track with a winning purse of $25,000 to win and $1,500 to start the feature.

For m ore information you can visit www.LucasOilSpeedway.com and www.lucasdirt.com or call the series office at (951) 532-2502.

Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway Tidbits: A total of 52 cars competed in the weekend activities at the Sherri Heckenast promoted Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway in Calvert City, KY. Terry Casey grabbed the LifeLong Locks Fast Qualifier Award on Friday Night as two of the scheduled four heat races were completed before a light rain set in postponing the remaining two heats until Saturday evening. Casey, Don O’Neal, Shannon Babb and Scott Bloomquist nabbed heat race victories with Brian Shirley and Earl Pearson, Jr. winning the B-mains to qualify for the Third Annual “99”.

Babb First Repeat Winner in ’07: It took until the ninth race of the year for a driver to enter victory lane twice this season in Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series competition. Looking at the score sheets you would have thought Babb dominated the event from start to finish. Scott Bloomquist led the first lap until Babb, who started on the pole took over the top spot. Babb led the rest of the race with challenges from series point’s leader, Billy Moyer and later on from Steve Francis. Babb’s win was worth $24,999 which indicated that his early season hot streak is no fluke as he did it against the best dirt late model racing had to offer last weekend at Kentucky Lake. Babb’s win in the “99” allowed him to join previous winners Steve Francis and Earl Pearson, Jr. as the only winners of the annual event which began in 2005.

Francis From the Tail to Second; Earns Bonus: Steve Francis comeback from a lap 14 flat tire brought him through the field and a second place finish to Babb in the “99” Behind the wheel of the same Tim Logan wrenched car that he took to victory lane at KLMS back in March he regained the second spot from Brady Smith on lap 75. Francis then started to close the distance between him and Babb as a caution with 11 laps to go seemingly slowed him momentum. “We had real good car, I think me and Shannon were about equally matched, he could fire a little better than me than a lap or two then I would ease back to him,” said Francis afterwards. “We used up a lot of stuff getting back up through there, I got into Terry (English) there and I apologize for that.” “I was hoping we didn’t have that last caution and I could get him in traffic eventually, but it didn’t work out that way, but we’re happy with second considering all we went though.” Not only did Francis get paid $12,000 for his second place finish but he also pocketed the $5,000 bonus to the highest finishing driver from last October’s “Commonwealth Cup” race and the “99” Francis also finished second in that race which was won by Ricky Arms.

Moyer Finishes Third in “99” Still Leads Points: Billy Moyer’s third place finish in the “99” allowed him to stretch out his points lead. Moyer’s third place finish in the race came despite the brace on the right front flap of his car breaking which forced his right front tire to skid after one of the restarts. “It gave me fits a few times there and that’s when I lost some spots, it kind of got out of the way there for a while and we were able to get back up there.” said the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Famer member in the pits after the race. “We had a decent car and I don’t know how hard he (Babb) was running but I was watching the lap board and I thought we had a shot at him there and that one restart happened with the right front, but I was able to get back to third.”

Brady Smith Has Best Finish of ’07: The Wisconsin driver posted his best finish of the season at any race track coming home fourth in the “99” at Kentucky Lake. Smith was part of the “Team Zero” drivers who were entered for the weekend as team leader; Scott Bloomquist, Michael England and Jimmy Owens were in attendance. Only Owens failed to make the race as he had problems in his heat race on Friday Night which relegated him to a start in the back of a Saturday B-main. Owens worked his way up to fourth and nearly chased down fellow “Team Zero” driver Michael England, who grabbed the final transfer spot. Smith’s top five allowed a smile on the driver’s face for the first time this year. Smith ran in second for 14 circuits during the race coming home fourth in the final rundown despite a leaking right rear tire. “We finally had a decent run, we got up to second from 12th and had a real good car, and we did end up having only four pounds of air in the right rear, which cost us a few spots there at the end of the race.” “I was able to get around Moyer on that one restart to get to second, I was taking it one car at a time, I don’t know if I had anything for Shannon (Babb) obviously he’s an exceptional driver and had an exceptional car tonight so I can’t really say we did or didn’t have anything for him.”

Pearson Back In Top Five: Two-time and defending Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series National Champion, Earl Pearson, Jr. drove from his 18th starting spot to take the fifth finishing position. Pearson entered the top five with less than ten laps remaining in the race and was battling Brady Smith for the fourth spot at the checkers. The Bobby Labonte Racing Team moved from ninth to a tie for sixth in points with Matt Miller.

Jacobsen Nabs the $600 Bonus Bucks: California’s Eric Jacobsen finished 16th in the “99” and that earned him the $600 bonus bucks that was put up by the series for the highest finishing driver who competed in three or fewer Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series events in 2006. Jacobsen becomes the third different driver to earn the bonus joining Victor Lee (Brownstown) and Jason Covert (Hagerstown) as the drivers who have picked up the extra cash this season.

What a Difference a Week Makes: Last week at Hagerstown Scott James stormed from 14th to first to take his first series win since 2005. On Saturday Night at Kentucky Lake James had to use a provisional to make the show in a backup car. Some engine issues forced James to start 23rd in the Powell Motorsports/Rocket GTO. He stayed in the race after changing a flat tire and finished in 17th place to tie Don O’Neal for third in the points. The other Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series provisional was Steve Casebolt, who had finished second to James at Hagerstown. Casebolt started 24th and was moving through the field until contact with a barrier tire bent his left front spindle. It only took Casebolt 17 laps to get to the top five and he hung around the top five until past the halfway mark when the handling on his Dale Beitler car started to go away after contact with the tire barrier.

Rookies Rebound at Kentucky Lake: At Hagerstown the week before none of the competitors for the COMP Cams “Rookie of the Year” title made the show. The past weekend at Kentucky Lake three of the four who were on hand made the show. Damon Eller came from 25th starting spot to finish 12th. Eller got in the show as the track’s provisional as track promoter Sherri Heckenast drew names out of a hat which contained those drivers who had not yet made the show. According to Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series rules Eller only got show up and consy points since a track provisional does not earn any feature points. Eller did however take over the rookie point’s race by just five points over Justin Rattliff, who failed to make the A-main. Brad Neat and Garrett Durrett was the rookie of the year chasers who were able to make the starting lineup for the “99”.

19 Drivers Still Perfect: There are currently 19 drivers who have maintained perfect attendance at all 2007 points paying events for the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series. Those 19 drivers are: Current series points leader, Billy Moyer, Terry English, Don O’Neal, Scott James, Steve Casebolt, Matt Miller, Earl Pearson, Jr., Steve Shaver, Donnie Moran, Dan Schlieper, Ray Cook, Scott Bloomquist, Billy Drake, Damon Eller, Michael England, Justin Rattliff, Brad Neat, John Mason and Freddy Smith. If one of those drivers can take the victory on Saturday Night at Lucas Oil Speedway they will pocket an additional $10,000 on top of the $25,000 first place prize money that is being offered to the winner.

Current Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Championship Points Standings (After May 5, 2007)

Billy Moyer (Batesville, AR) 835
Terry English (Benton, KY) 755
Don O’Neal (Martinsville, IN) 730
Scott James (Lawrenceburg, IN) 730
Steve Casebolt (Richmond, IN) 700
Matt Miller (Waterville, OH) 690
Earl Pearson, Jr. (Jacksonville, FL) 690
Steve Shaver (Vienna, WV) 640
Shannon Babb (Moweaqua, IL) 615
Donnie Moran (Dresden, OH) 610

Current Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series COMP Cams Rookie of the Year Points Standings (After May 5, 2007)

Damon Eller (Crumpler, NC) 450
Justin Rattliff (Campbellsville, KY) 445
Brad Neat (Dunnville, KY) 410
Garrett Durrett (Simsboro, LA) 200
Ricky Arms (Moss, TN) 180
Mike Mataragas (De Kalb, IL) 150

Upcoming Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Events

May 11-12 Lucas Oil Speedway-Wheatland, MO

$25,000 to win/$1,500 to start

May 18 Farley Speedway-Farley, IA

$10,000 to win/$700 to start

May 19 La Salle Speedway-La Salle, IL

$10,000 to win/$700 to start

2007 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Sponsors

Lucas Oil Products – “The Official Oil” of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Sunoco Race Fuels – “The Official Fuel” of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Arizona Sport Shirts – “The Official Merchandise Vendor” of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Hoosier Tire – “The Official Tire” of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

K&N Filters – “The Official Filter” of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

2007 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Supporters Include: AFCO, Allstar Performance, American Racer Tires, Banshee Graphics, Bloomquist Race Cars, Comp Cams, Cornett Racing Engines, Cruise with the Champions, DART, Design 500, Edelbrock, Erson Cams, Grover Racing Engines, GRT Race Cars, Hawk Brake, Hyperco, Integra Shocks, Jay Dickens Racing Engines, King of the Road, Larry Wallace Racing Engines, LifeLong Locks, Malcuit Racing Engines, Mason Racin’, MasterSbilt Race Cars, Ohlins, On the Edge Graphics, Penske Shocks, Performance Bodies, PBM Performance Products, PPM Racing Products, Performance Rod and Custom, Pro Power Racing Engines, Quarter Master, C.J. Rayburn Race Cars, Rick Schwallie Photography, Rocket Chassis, Tex Racing, Vic Hill Racing Engines, WD Enterprises

Back