Machine shop prices?

dirtgoon

'89 S-10, 350 Smallblock
I'm getting ready to build a small block V8 for my Chevy S-10. I was wondering what the general prices are to have machine work done. I plan on having the block hot tanked,bored .030, and having them put in new cam bearings and freeze plugs. Also I need to have my crank turned and my heads cleaned and rebuilt. This is the first engine I have built for my self and haven't ever taken anything to a machine shop. So I would like a list of average prices to have this stuff done. I know I could just call the local machine shop but I figured I'd ask on here first since I don't have the money for everything yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

It has been awhile since i have had machine work done without having a whole motor built. But in the past i think i paid roughly $100-$150 to have the block hot tanked, bored, honed, cam bearings, and freeze plugs. It may be closer to $175-$200 now. Depending on what shop you take it to. If you aren't looking for anything really fancy for a crank go to autozone. The have remanufactured SBC crank kits which include a remanufactered crank turn 0.10-0.10, rod bearings and main bearings for $85.00. You will pay that just to have your crank turned at a machine shop if not more. As far as heads it really all depends on what needs done to them? New valves, springs, guides, etc? As long as it is no high dollar race type parts then the price shouldn't be too bad to have them redone. Maybe $150-$200. Don't hold me to that though on the heads because that was pretty much just a round about guess. Hope this all helps. But i would definately go to Autozone for the crank kit. Just get it for like a early 80's chevy truck or Camero, etc. Good luck. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Tom

Thanks alot. I'll probably be calling Dave's automotive here in warrenton pretty soon. to see what they charge.

Tom was about right on, I took my stuff to Dave's and that was about what I paid. He does some good work and is quick.

work

hay give us a call first we do it all and we stock new and used parts for street/superstreet/ mods/ hornets/ dragrace ect we build cages also give us a call 217-345-7921 tca auto we also do all engine work in house we also have some used race cars in stock or we can build u a new car

This motor is going to be put in my street driven Chevy S-10. But I do want to get into a bomber or pure street one day so I'll keep you in mind shyster trans

Daves did my minor machine work and did a nice job. I had it all balanced at allied motors in St.Charles and they did good work also

Hey modfan, hopefully you'll see my black V8 powered S-10 running around Warrenton soon. Me and a friend of mine(also from Warrenton) are both doing V8 S-10 swaps. He just had all of his machine work done at Daves. I helped him put together his motor(283). looks like They do pretty good work over there.

Any one know where a good place to have a driveshaft cut to length? Need one cut for the V8 swap in the S10.

Me and badazs10 both need to have this done. We can get to Fulton easy. How much would you charge? I need to have this done soon too.

smaldirt28 said:
It has been awhile since i have had machine work done without having a whole motor built. But in the past i think i paid roughly $100-$150 to have the block hot tanked, bored, honed, cam bearings, and freeze plugs. It may be closer to $175-$200 now. Depending on what shop you take it to. If you aren't looking for anything really fancy for a crank go to autozone. The have remanufactured SBC crank kits which include a remanufactered crank turn 0.10-0.10, rod bearings and main bearings for $85.00. You will pay that just to have your crank turned at a machine shop if not more. As far as heads it really all depends on what needs done to them? New valves, springs, guides, etc? As long as it is no high dollar race type parts then the price shouldn't be too bad to have them redone. Maybe $150-$200. Don't hold me to that though on the heads because that was pretty much just a round about guess. Hope this all helps. But i would definately go to Autozone for the crank kit. Just get it for like a early 80's chevy truck or Camero, etc. Good luck. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Tom
ASK EM TOO FOR A RADIATOR CAP FOR 1963 BUG OR A 2002 SATURN :D :D :D

Back