Macon Speedway Results 6/14/08

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
MACON -- This weekend's festivities at were all part of the long Father's Day weekend. The Dear Ole Dad celebration gave away prizes to a couple of lucky dads. Fans also got to enter for their chance to Tony's Tahoe Giveaway. On Sept. 6, Macon Speedway will give away the brand new Chevrolet Tahoe courtesy of track co-owner Tony Stewart.
Macon Speedway also ran its annual Faster Pastor hornet race. Keith Jenkins, pastor of the Boiling Springs Church of God in Decatur, won the race after being spun out. Jenkins came from the back and won, but some would say Jenkins was a bit of a ringer.
"In the 80s, I used to race bombers and modifieds here. I've won quite a few." Jenkins said.
Scott Landers found all of the grip on the bottom of the track in the Hogan Grain/KUBOA Sportsman feature race. Mike Pickering's high line was as smooth as ever, but Landers' car was just too good on the bottom.
The MidWest Big Ten Late Model Series was back at Macon Speedway this week. The Late Models ran for $1,200 to win and to move closer to the $10,000 prize pool for leading in series points. Chris Dick and Kyle Logue collided vying for position as they crossed the finish line together. But the nose of Dick’s #22 Late Model barely beat out Logue. Both cars had mechanical issues through the race. The throttle stuck of Chris Dick’s car as he smashed into the turn one wall after winning the race. Logue was battling a broken brake line and was using the outside wall to slow himself down in the corners.
John Woodard’s car bounced to the outside, ran up the turn one wall and flipped over. Track crews rushed to his aide as racing fuel leaked out onto the track. Woodard crawled out from underneath his car and watched the crew flip over what was left of his Modiifed.
Jeremy Nichols’ #01 Modified took a beating all night long but held off the field to win the feature. Nichols lost a lot of sheet metal and broke a rod during a wreck in the heat race. The whole #01 team worked hard through the break to get the car race ready. But when Nichols, on the pole, stomped the gas to start the feature, the car didn’t move and Dave Crawley Jr. ran right into the back of the sputtering car.
“I was more worried about breaking the car. I knew Jimmy was behind me. I was taking the restarts slow just to trying not to break it.” Nichols said.
One of those restarts happened with three laps left. Nichols was nursing a broken car with a driver behind him with multiple track championships. Through all the damage, Nichols held off Macon Speedway legend Jim Leka and got the well deserved win.
Decatur’s Steve Ewing passed Troy Dodson for win. Ewing’s pass took nearly the whole race to complete, but only the last lap matters. Joe Reed is setting himself apart from the hornet field, he won tonight’s feature race putting him at five for the year. Jeff Gill won his first amateur Hornet race.

Chevrolet Late Models
1. Chris Dick; 2. Kyle Logue; 3. Mike Hammerle; 4. Shane Tomlin; 5. Roger Brickler; 6. John Graham; 7.
BARBECK Communications Modifieds
1. Jeremy Nichols; 2. Jim Leka; 3. Marty Hiser; 4. Curt Rhodes; 5. Brad Crosby; 6. Clark Robertson; 7. Roger Drake; 8. Mark Tullis; 9. Danny Smith; 10. Fred Burcham
Hogan Grain/KUBOTA Sportsman
1. Scott Landers; 2. Mike Pickering; 3. Jeff Graham; 4. Travis Martin; 5. David Bumgardner; 6. Tim Bedinger; 7. Bryan Diulio; 8. Tom Reich; 9. Allen Crowder; 10. Jeff Reed
Street Stock
1. Steve Ewing; 2. Blake Shelly; 3. Troy Dodson; 4. Terry Reed; 5. Al Crawley; 6. Larry Russell Jr.; 7. Brian Dasenbrock; 8. Kyle Jenkins; 9. Roy Magee; 10. Mike Pickering
Hornets (pro)
1. Joe Reed; 2. James Hankins; 3. Bruce Dulgar; 4. Todd Rush; 5. Fred Reed; 6. Justin Hilton; 7. Steven Dulgar; 8. Kenny VanDorn; 9. Butch Smith; 10. John Woodard
Hornets (amateur)
1. Jeff Gill; 2. Cody Fleming; 3. Michael Gossett; 4. Beau Hankins; 5. Jason Detterline; 6. Bruce Dulgar Jr.; 7. Violet Reed
Macon Speedway is located 9 miles south of Decatur, IL on US 51 then .6 miles west on Andrews Street, then south on Wiles. For more information, call 217-764-3000(track), 217-764-3220(information hotline), or contact us via email at track@trackenterprises.com. Also visit www.maconracing.com or www.trackenterprises.com .

Back