MAHLE Engine Builder Showdown

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
The 10th Annual MAHLE Engine Builder Showdown hosted by NASCAR FOX/Speed television analysts Jeff Hammond and Larry McReynolds will be held in Charlotte, N.C. on Wednesday, May 13 at 5:30pm/et. The event will take place during "NASCAR Rev'd Up," a kick-off event for Sprint Cup All-Star Race Week, on the side stage between 3rd and Mint Streets in uptown Charlotte. The MAHLE Engine Builder Showdown is a tiered, three-round competition designed to recognize the knowledge, skills and speed of professional engine builders who assemble special performance engines for NASCAR teams. Former NASCAR crew chiefs Hammond and McReynolds will be right at home calling the action as both have extensive engine building knowledge. For the past nine years, NASCAR's top engine builders have participated to build a Sprint Cup 357-cubic inch Ford racing engine. This year, for the first time since the MAHLE Engine Builder Showdown's inception, engine builders will race against the clock to build a complete Chevrolet R07 race engine in the fastest time and successfully run it for one minute. The first two elimination rounds will take place at Hendrick Motorsports on Monday and Tuesday, May 11-12. The two fastest teams participate in a face-off at "NASCAR Rev'd Up" Wednesday to win the Showdown's grand prize - the prestigious Randy Dorton Memorial Trophy and a cash award.
Last year, Dennis Borem and Darrell Hoffman of Pro Motor Engines broke the all-time Showdown record for a second year in a row with an engine-build time of 15 minutes and 59 seconds. The two-time winners defeated runners-up Mike Kasch and Jim Snyder of Roush Yates Racing. This year, the 2009 MAHLE Engine Builder Showdown will share the spotlight with "NASCAR Rev'd Up," a kick-off event to NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race Week. The six-hour event beginning on Wednesday, May 13 from 4 - 10 p.m. in uptown Charlotte features driver appearances, NASCAR show cars and interactive displays, and a free admission concert by recording group O.A.R.(MAHLE Clevite PR), no word on TV Coverage.(5-7-2009)

Go get em' Darrell and Dennis!!!!!

It just blows my mind to think that these guys can do what they do in that short of time. I mean from absolutely nothing but some prepped parts and good organization to a complete running motor in under 16 minutes. From talking with Darrell about this contest though it takes hours upon hours of practice. He told me that they will do this whole deal at there shop 2-3 times a night for a month before the events just to keep fresh and find a few extra seconds here and there.

Good Luck guys and bring home that trophy again. Oh yeah and i am sure the cash is nice too......:D

Tom

Back