McCreadie Earns First Career World of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series Victory

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Barberville, FL — February 19, 2005 — By World of Outlaws Late Model PR

What would you do if you had just won your first career World of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series event?

Well, if you’re Tim McCreadie you follow through with your plans to go to Disney World. It certainly will be a much-deserved respite, too. Not only did McCreadie earn his first career feature win Saturday night with the Dirty Dozen, but the 2004 rookie of the year posted three late model victories during the 34th Winter Nationals at Volusia Speedway Park.

McCreadie was virtually unbeatable throughout the final night of Volusia’s Speed Weeks. He posted the fifth-fastest time out of 50 cars, won his heat and won the dash to start the $10,000-to-win main event on the pole.

After Billy Moyer, winner of the Outlaws season-opening event Thursday night, grabbed the lead at the drop of the green flag, McCreadie surged to the front on Lap 2 and led the rest of the way in the 50-lap feature.

Three cautions in the final 10 laps, including one for a fire that engulfed the engine compartment of Steve Francis’ car, only delayed the inevitable. With each restart, McCreadie seemed to grow stronger as Darrell Lanigan fought off Scott James to finish second.

“You just try not to make any mistakes because the last thing you want to do is start over-driving the car and end up dropping back after we were lucky enough to get up front all night,” said McCreadie, a Watertown, N.Y.-native who split time between late models and big block modifieds last season. “For my car owners, they had hardly seen me run in one of these. When I won one of the races here last year they weren’t at it so it’s nice to get a win for Ann and Carl Myers.”

The racing behind McCreadie was furious. Off a Delaware restart with 14 laps down, Lanigan plowed his way from fifth to third and used another restart to surge past James for his second consecutive top-five finish this season with the Outlaws. Finishing behind James were Don O’Neal, Clint Smith, Moyer and Chub Frank.

But as the cautions mounted down the stretch, McCreadie remained cool, knowing his car was perfect all night.

“I get nervous, but I’ve won some pretty big races back home,” McCreadie said. “You just don’t want to mess up. The track was pretty narrow and it would have taken a lot to give it away because our car was so good. As long as I didn’t go in and hop the cushion or get in the slick and get real jacked up sideways, I thought we’d be pretty good. I felt pretty planted from the green to the checkered. You lead that many laps, it would take a pretty good guy to come along and beat you. I figured as long as I didn’t screw up myself, the car was good enough that we’d be all right.”

Combined with a win last year at Volusia, McCreadie now has four late model victories at the half-mile speedway in Barberville, Fla., but none elsewhere. He knows the other Dirty Dozen racers will be aiming for him when the Dirty Dozen next races in April at Cumberland, Md.

“Make no mistake, these guys who had bad nights in Florida doesn’t mean anything when we get outside of here,” McCreadie said. “We need to reorganize how we think we need to be and hopefully it will translate into a good season.”

For Lanigan, who finished 11th in points last season, an impressive push to a second-place run two nights after he went from 23rd to fifth in the feature proves he will be a force on the circuit this year.

“You just had to drive it in deep going into Turn 1 to get past a guy so you could turn back under him,” said Lanigan, of Union, Ky. “The car really worked good tonight.”

Another driver looking to get off to a hot start is Clint Smith. After struggling on opening night, Smith rebounded with his new GRT-backed team to run with the leaders all night and earn a fifth-place finish.

“Starting up front makes a big difference,” said Smith, of Senoia, Ga. “You don’t put yourself in a hole to start with. You come out banging. We got a whole new team with GRT racecars, new rig, a whole new setup. We spent a lot of money in the off-season and I’m glad to see it’s beginning to pay off. We set up for tonight’s condition based on the opening night’s condition and we made the right tire choice. We’re real satisfied with tonight’s top-five run. It gets the season off to a good jump.”

But at the end of the night, there was no one jumping more than McCreadie. After leaping onto the roof of his car in celebration, McCreadie quickly turned his attention to what helped him earn his first Outlaws victory, including fellow Rocket Chassis racers Rick Eckert and Dale McDowell.

“I don’t think anybody in racing ever gets anywhere by themselves,” McCreadie said. “You struggle when you try to be out on an island. The whole traveling bunch of 12 guys really kind of helps each other out for the greater good of this point deal. It’s weird. I had never been in a series where you had 12 or more guys become a traveling family like this deal did last year. I just hope we can do that again this year because I know I made some good friendships over the year.”

One driver looking for some friendly comfort after Volusia is Steve Francis. The Kentucky Colonel had nothing but bad luck during the week. In the final three features, Francis had one of fastest cars each night but was spun out one race, lost a rear end in another and during the finale his engine caught fire. Fortunately, because the field was outfitted with RACEceivers, a one-way radio connecting a track official to the drivers, Francis and the other drivers were quickly informed of the fire.

“When our car blew up, he told us we were on fire and all that,” Francis said. “He’d tell us when there was a caution and where it was at. I thought it was pretty neat.”

The World of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series is brought to the fans across the country by several sponsors and partners, including series sponsors Stacker 2®, Hoosier Racing Tire, Sunoco Race Fuels, VP Racing Fuels, and SPEEDCHANNEL. Promotional Partners include AMB i.t., RACEceiver, HUMMERSGONEWILD.COM, Zippo Lighters, and The University of Northwestern Ohio. Contingency sponsors include DART Machinery, MSD Ignitions, Wrisco Industries, and Quarter Master.

Statistical Report, Volusia Speedway Park, February 19, 2005
A-Main Feature
Finish, Driver, Hometown
1. Tim McCreadie, Watertown, N.Y.
2. Darrell Lanigan, Union, Ky.
3. Scott James, Bright, Ind.
4. Don O’Neal, Martinsville, Ind.
5. Clint Smith, Senoia, Ga.
6. Billy Moyer, Batesville, Ark.
7. Chub Frank, Bear Lake, Pa.
8. Mike Balzano, Parkersburg, W.Va.
9. Dan Schlieper, Sullivan, Wis.