Mike Skinner to run truck at Gateway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
<B>FIRST NASCAR CRAFTSMAN TRUCK SERIES CHAMP MIKE SKINNER
RETURNS TO THE SERIES, WILL RUN AT RAM TOUGH 200</b>

MADISON, Ill. (July 8) – Mike Skinner, the first champion of the NASCAR
Craftsman Truck Series, will race in the No. 15 Vokal Ford at the Missouri-Illinois
Dodge Dealers Ram Tough 200 at Gateway International Raceway.

The event is part of a two-race “fact-finding” stint Skinner will turn in the truck to help
owner Billy Ballew try and right his struggling operation. Skinner, a California native
who just turned 46, will race this weekend at Kentucky Speedway and then the Ram
Tough 200 to help assess the team, which is currently 15th in owner points with just a pair
of Top 10 finishes. Andy Houston started the year behind the wheel, and Skinner will
take over for Rich Bickle.

Skinner was released from his Winston Cup ride with Morgan-McClure Motorsports two
weeks ago. He joins a Ram Tough 200 field that already includes former Winston Cup
veterans Ted Musgrave, Bobby Hamilton and Dennis Setzer, defending Ram Tough 200
champ Terry Cook and with rising stars Brendan Gaughan, points leader Travis Kvapil,
Jon Wood and Carl Edwards of Columbia, Mo. They will take the green flag Saturday
night, July 19 at 8 p.m.

“Billy has asked me to come in and help evaluate his team for the next two events and I
am available to help him do that at this time,” Skinner said. “We plan to take a look at all
the aspects of his operation and help the organization move forward.

“We will evaluate everything from the chassis to the engines to the team and even the
driver. I am willing to do anything within my power to help Billy and crew chief Gary
Showalter achieve their goals.”

Ballew, who earlier this season signed St. Louis native and Grammy Award winner Nelly
as a part-owner, feels like he has to examine every feasible alternative in order to provide
the best possible competitive combination for his sponsor and his team.

(more)

Gateway/Skinner joins Ram Tough 200 field/Page 2

“We have the equipment to be competitive. We’ve had strong drivers, but we’ve had no
chemistry, and we cannot sit here and spin our wheels,” Ballew said. “I have the utmost
respect for Rich Bickle as a person and as a driver. I am sure that all the problems we
have experienced lately are not necessarily Rich's fault but I had to address the concerns
we had.

“I looked at all the options we had available to help us get back on track competitively,
and when you have the opportunity to bring in a former champion to help you then I
think you have to capitalize on that opportunity. Mike Skinner is a talented driver with
great instincts with these truck chassis.”

Skinner was signed by Richard Childress to drive in the newly-minted NASCAR
Craftsman Truck Series in 1995, and dominated the first season with eight victories on
his way to the title. Skinner's record in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series is stellar.
He has 16 wins, 15 poles, 32 top five finishes, 41 top-10 finishes in only 50 starts.

His last NCTS start came at California Speedway in 1998, when he finished fifth.

He moved to the Winston Cup series fulltime in 1997, spending the next five seasons
with Childress and a season-and-a-half with Morgan-McClure before being released last
month. In 217 Winston Cup starts, he had 39 Top 10 finishes and five Bud Poles,
including both 1997 races at Daytona.

Skinner and the rest of the NCTS drivers will take to the 1.25-mile Gateway oval on
Friday July 18, with Bud Pole Qualifying starting approximately 4 p.m.

The NASCAR International Truck and Engine Midwest Series touring series will also be
on the track that day to prepare for the Gateway 125, set to start at 8:30 p.m. (approx.) on
Friday. Eight-time series champion Steve Carlson and defending Gateway champ Jon
Lemke lead a field that also include area drivers such as Craig Smith of Godfrey, Ill.,
Doug Klein of Fairview Heights, Ill., and Mark Voigt of Marine, Ill.

Tickets for this event can be purchased by calling (866) 35-SPEED, or going online at
www.gatewayraceway.com.

Fans have until next Wednesday (July 16) to get the Domino’s $99 Four-Pack, which
includes four mid-level seats for Saturday, two Gateway hats, two Gateway Guy
bobbleheads, a race program and a certificate for a free large one-topping Domino’s
Pizza.

Back