My Nephew The Little Pit Guy

JeepFan55

Danny Heiple
I just wanted to share something a little funny with the rest of you. A lot of you know my nephew James, the six year old. Well he thinks he is a pit crew helper of all drivers.

Two weeks ago we were at Tri City Speedway. For the first time ever he got into a race car while it was running with Marty Smith Jr and loaded the car up with him, thank you Marty. We have tried for two years or more to get him to see that the cars are not going to hurt him, now he has always liked to watch them race but never wanted to be close to them when they were running.

Then while we were talking to Robbie Eilers, James was checking out the modified and looking under it, Eilers had an incident in the dash. The one guy with Eilers said it was all banged up and James replied as serious as he could "we can fix it". He said he would help.

Then we were over by Rylan Dagg, I was looking at pictures of Dagg's new baby, bueatiful baby by the way, and James was looking all around Rylan's car like a little mechanic. Rylan said the car needed some work and James again said "we can fix it".

I thought this was great but on Saturday we were at I-55 Raceway and James was going around wanting to get into all the cars and finally Jimmy Cummins let him ride on his car while he loaded it up. Thank you Jimmy. Debbie I think was more nervous than anyone. :)

Then we went to the late model pits and was talking to the Lawson's. James was walking around the car and checking the sheet metal and finders and the nose. James loaded the car then was on his back under the car with Rich tying it down. James was in heaven. Thank you Rich.

So to bring this to an end, my point of the entire story, on the Monday after, James was at home and his mother and brother went into the house to get something before they left for dinner. By the time my sister got back downstairs, James had his dads floor jack out and had my sisters car jacked up!!!! :) No kidding! He told his mom he was going to change the tires, LOL. They did not need changed. My sister did not know rather to laugh, ground him or what to do, so she spent five minutes trying to figure out how to get the jack down, calling her husband and asking him how to get the jack down (my sister is not mechanically inclined), with out telling him why, after five minutes of conversation, James said "you turn the handle the other way, duh"!

Since no one was hurt and the car was ok this is something we laugh about now. I just thought I would share that with everyone. He is six years and this just goes to show how much kids pays attention at the races.

P.S. My sister never told her husband why she wanted to know how to lower the floor jack.

I laughed so hard when you told me this, James is so cute. I wonder what is in store for this weekend.

Cute story. When i was a kid i hung with my dad and he said 1 day..hey im going to turn the motor over..watch out!! I stepped back and awaited the motor to flop on over..lol.

James

There is no doubt in my mind about him driving one someday! James is so amazing! He can tell you anything you want to know about a lot of drivers and what happened in any certain race.
Jeannie Lawson

Back