Nascar Fines !!

cblgy11

Just read were Nascar handed out 12 more fines to teams after the Talladega race inspection. I can understand every team trying something to get that little advantage over the next guy, And I do beleive everyone one this site does to,But performance and safty are to totaly different things. Here a peice of the artical I was reading................Peter Rondeau, crew chief for Kenny Wallace's No. 1 Chevrolet, was fined $10,000 for using unapproved spring mounting plates and bolts; Michael McSwain, crew chief for Ricky Rudd's No. 21 Ford was fined $1,000 for using unapproved windshield clips and Doug Rudolph, crew chief for Scott Riggs' No. 10 Chevrolet, was assessed $500 for using seat belts with an expired manufacturer's date..........Can you beleive there were fines of $25,000 for a windsheild deflector,$10,000 for using the wrong bolts on your springs, but you run expired seat belts and you get a $500 fine. Seems funny to me that Nascar is always so big on safty and just give a guy a slap on the hand for this infraction. Is it just me or is this to light of a punishment and/or fine.

I also seem to recall that the death of Dale Earnhardt was in part to due his belts failing in some way. Correct me if that is wrong.

It's not going to be long before they are all running identically prepared cars. The thrill of a driver making the car work is gone. Nobody can have an advantage anymore.

Ever since I posted that, I have been reading the official report into the crash. The left lap belt failed, due to a phenomenon called dumping. He also rigged his crotch strap over the front of the seat, instead of through the opening in the seat provided for the strap. They didnt condone or condemn that rigging of the strap, they just pointed out the way it may have contributed. It was an interesting read, to say the least. I now know more about that crash than I ever did.

In relation to the fines issue over the belts, one statement the report did make was that, in light of the fact the belt failed, restraint systems should be a point of emphasis in the future. Strange how quickly they forget.

Exactly how I felt t.nie......................I mean what good are the soft walls they are spending hundreds of thousands on if they do not care about the belts. Belts and all driver restraint systems in the cars should bot be overlooked. I mean it's hard for Nascar to keep an eye on every team and everything going on, But when you find a safty infraction such as the belts or anything like that, Make it a heavier fine than $500. Big Big mistake on the team to even put your driver in a car that you knowingly had old belts.

cblgy11 said:
I mean it's hard for Nascar to keep an eye on every team and everything going on.

MUST NOT BE TOO HARD. THEY SEEM TO FIND EVERYTHING. :confused:

NASCAR IS ABOUT THE MONEY! FINES ARE MONEY???

NASCAR IS STARTING RIVAL THE NFL WITH THE WAY THEY RULE WITH AN IRON FIST. I AGREE ITS GOOD SOMETIMES. BUT, SOMETIMES I THINK THEY NEED TO FIGURE THE HUMAN SIDE INTO THE EQUATION....:SEE DALE JR. POST:

That's true, post race inspections,But that does no good when a driver gets killed and then find out what went wrong during post race inspections. When they find a safty problem during post race inspections, It should be a fine,suspension or something to get everyones attention. It is pretty bad that Dale Jr. Saying Sh!t gets all the attention over all of the infractions that were discovered after race. JMO

Not to mention..those windshield clips were made out of brittle metal..if the car went backwards..the windshield blows out..possibly going in the stands..or injuring track personel. I read an article..that was interesting about the Dale accident. Seems..he was also noted..for on the last lap of a race..to loosen his belts..as a stab to Nascar because he hated rule after rule. They never did figure out if that had a hand in it..but if you think..what happens to a loose belt..that suddenly goes tight...it rubs..agaisnt the seat and the hardware it is attached too. If these teams are trying to save a buck or 2..going this route..then..i will totally quit watchign Nascar myself..because thats not a cool thing to do to the driver..and fans. edited this due to my crappy shi..y..oh..boy..spelling

Typical Nascar crap! However, I thought these items where found in the pre-race inspections cause I recall Bill Weber talking about them in the countdown to green show. Might be wrong though.

Back