NASCAR official confirms changes in point system

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
Playoff plan is a 'go' for '04 season
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - NASCAR this season will significantly change the way it determines the champion of its Nextel Cup series, marking the first major change to its points system since 1975.
Jim Hunter, NASCAR's vice president of corportate communications, confirmed Thursday several changes to the current system. Among them:

• Every race winner in each of the three national series - Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck - will receive a points bonus for a race win.

• The Cup series will adopt a version of a "playoff format" - first discussed at the end of last season - that will encompass the final 10 races of the season. That system will be used to determine the series champion.

• NASCAR will continue with its current policy of not awarding any points in any of its series for qualifying.

• In order to accommodate any potential injuries to drivers who may be fighting for a championship, NASCAR will continue to award both car owner and driver points, allowing for the possibility of split championships.

• NASCAR is considering increasing the minimum speed requirements to reduce the number of damaged vehicles that remain in races after accidents.

The final details remain to be decided, but the entire plan should be ready for a formal announcement within two weeks, likely during the Charlotte media tour, Hunter said.

I'm sure there'll be mixed reactions to the points change-can't say I like the idea but with all the big money in the sport now & the series name change they prob felt like they needed to fix what wasn't broke.
Also the "big red truck" is no longer red-they are trying to come up with a new nickname for the NASCAR trailer where they get called to the carpet.
Some are calling it "The Phone Booth" :p

I like "The Dog House" but they need to call it "The Play Pen" because of the way some of the drivers act out there:D

I do not like this idea. I think Nascar will lose fan base big-time.
Just a scenario to think about according to the rules above.
Let's say Little E is 11th in these standings before the playoff. Let's say Kenseth is 12th and how about say J. Gordon is 13th.
You mean to tell me these guys don't race the last ten races or they just race knowing they can't reach the top ten. lol
Sounds like college football's BCS. lol
Good luck to them.

Read the article on nascar.com, thats exactly what they are doing, comparing nascar to ballgames. I don't like it one bit, you work your butt off all year, If you're not in the top ten after 26 races, your point season is over. They also state TV coverage, I think the Hype is getting out of hand. The same point system, was great for the Busch and Craftsman Truck series, down to the last race. Leave the system alone........Sorry, just my opinion.

nascar screws up again. they changed the points system just because kenseth had a good season. the bush and truck series used the same points system and the championship came down to the last race. kenseth had a good team and alot of good luck on his side. his other competitors had alot of bad luck if not for that it might have been a tighter title race. it seems nascar cares more about the money they make then caring about the fans or there drivers. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Part of NASCAR's thinking is that this will improve TV ratings in the Fall to compete with the NFL, but Brian France seems to forget that this is not a stick-and-ball sport. What a stupid idea. From polls done since the rumor was floated, fans were very much against it, drivers have have spoken out against it, and Nextel has been catching a lot of flack from fans and said a few weeks ago that they had nothing to do with this idea. I cannot imagine that sponsors on the cars outside of the top ten will be very happy either, epecially when it comes time to sign a deal for the next season. Just give the winner of each race an extra 20 points and be done with it. I think someone other than a France family member should have been put in charge of the organization. Brian France, in his short time on the job, has already shown he could care less about the fans.

MABEY MORE PEOPLE WILL WATCH MORE DIRT RACING(OTHER THAN WOO) INSTEAD OF THE LAST TEN RACES OF THE NEXTEL CUP . I BET IF SOME DRIVER LEADS IN POINTS FROM THE FIRST RACE AND THEN MAKES THE TOP TEN, CRASHES OR GETS TAKEN OUT AND FINISHES 10TH IN THE FINAL STANDINGS, IT WOULD CAUSE A HEAP OF TROUBLE WITH SPONSORS AND OWNERS THAT GOT SCREWED OUT OF A CHAMPIONSHIP. THE POINT SYSTEM NOW AWARDS THE TEAM WITH THE BEST A V E R A G E FINISH TO BE THE CUP CHAMPION.. IN MY OPNION THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

what a joke

Napcar way to go on screwing up the points, gives good reason for a local track to race Sunday Sunday Sunday

there is over 1100 signatures on the online petition lets keep it up. there might be chance nascar will listen to their fans. maybe!

Don't get your hopes up...They just had an interview on Speed with Bill France Jr. He basically said that he knows this is pissin off a ton of people, but he doesn't care. He said things need to change with the point system and that NASCAR has always done what's best for the sport. These guys do no wrong. :rolleyes:

Back