Nascar to clarify Victory Lane requirements

Ms.T

Terri Buehler Imming
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- NASCAR is expected to clarify its Victory Lane requirements this week after Jeff Gordon skipped the ceremony following his win at the Brickyard 400.

Gordon did not drive his car into Victory Lane at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday. Instead, he stopped his car on the track and got out, celebrating with his crew as they ran to join him.

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2004/data/standings_official_cbubble.html
By doing so, he avoided being seen with a large bottle of sports drink made by a NASCAR sponsor that conflicts with Gordon's sponsors.

"I'm sure I'm going to get in some kind of trouble over it," he said after the race. "But, you know what? Right now I don't care."

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said it was undecided Monday if Gordon would be penalized for failing to drive into Victory Lane.

However, Hunter said the sanctioning body would likely issue clarifications this week for what is expected from winning drivers after the race.

The winner's circle flap has been brewing for some time because NASCAR has made PowerAde the official sponsor of Victory Lane. PowerAde is made by Coca-Cola, and several drivers have sponsorship deals with Pepsi.

The Pepsi-backed drivers have taken offense to being photographed or televised with a huge blue bottle of PowerAde on top of their car. Initially, they were knocking the bottle off of their cars as they climbed out.

But NASCAR president Mike Helton told them three weeks ago not to touch the bottles.

Jimmie Johnson, Gordon's teammate, circumvented the order two weeks ago by placing a sign in front of the bottle after his win at Pocono Raceway. He was then fined $10,000 for it.

Although there is nothing in the rule book addressing what drivers are required to do, the entire celebration is a made-for-TV choreographed moment in which a driver is told to sit inside his car until the cameras are live so viewers at home can see their reaction when they climb out.

Once given the go-ahead to get out of the car, the Pepsi-sponsored drivers can not prevent being seen with the blue bottle on top of the vehicle.

Gordon said it was not his intent to avoid the PowerAde bottle, but was disappointed that his desire to celebrate on the track is now being scrutinized.

"To me, we take away so much from these victories when we pull into Victory Lane and it's all about getting the interview and it's all about putting the hat on, it's all about mentioning the sponsor," he said. "I want to just, you know, jump up and down and hang out with my guys."

You know, at most tracks, victory lane is a joke. Everyone goes to the track and sits in those expensive seats to watch the race, and then where is victory lane? At a spot on the track that most people can't see. Victory lane should be right there on the front stretch, in front of the grandstand. I fully support Gordon's decision to celebrate right there where he won it, at the finish line in front of all the fans. And I think it was ignorant of the NASCAR officials to shove their way into the celebration and try to tell him what to do.

I Agree With Some Of The Points, Such As Where Victory Lane Is Located. But, Its Their(nascar) Game, So Ya' Have To Play By Their Rules. Especially When It Comes To Their Money(sponsors Of Victory Lane)! If The Drivers Don't Want To Go To Victory Lane Because It Is Sponsored By One Of Their Sponsors Competitors. Then They Shouldn't Race The Races Sponsored By Them Either. The Coca-cola 600 For Example....j/m/o

Ms.T said:
the entire celebration is a made-for-TV choreographed moment in which a driver is told to sit inside his car until the cameras are live so viewers at home can see their reaction when they climb out
This is the part of the whole thing that really seems so ridiculous to me. It's like "Lets have a staged 'spontaneous' victory lane celebration with the driver 'getting out of the car overjoyed' on cue so the tv viewers can see it." Yeah. Just like so much else in NASCAR these days, it is a big fake show for the sponsors and tv audience.

I think the answer is not in telling the participants to like it or leave, but to stop selling every damn thing to the corporations for the cash. Dump the Victory Lane sponsor, which is nothing more than "heres some cash to stick our stupid product in Victory Lane" and that is an end to the problem of who gets seen standing next to what. For goodness sake, NASCAR makes enough money as it is, they dont need to sell every damn thing for a quick buck.

NASCAR these days puts a price on everything, and knows the value of nothing. Victory Lane should be where the winning team and driver celebrate however they choose to, not just another advertising opportunity.

Greed And Too Many Mickey Mouse Rules! I Agree,victory Lane Sponsors Are Just Another Way For Nascar To Get Even Richer. It Sometimes Takes The "human" Side Out Of It.

Aw come on guys n gals NASCAR just needs the extra sponsorship money to keep bringing us the outstanding racing that we have had all this year....YEAH RIGHT!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree, I haven't watched a complete race for a fews years now.

Once in a while I run across a replay of a race from a few years ago and enjoy watching a race I already know who won, just because the racing was more exciting then than it is now. Those older races before the pit road speed limit was fun to watch, although it is a lot safer now, but everyone knows, safe is boring.

Perhaps race fans should in protest stop buying Nascars sponsors products and let Nascar loose some money.

What is really sad..is Nascar..doesnt want a guy..who camps in the infield..for a weekend..spends oogles on food..and beverages..let alone..tickets..and watches..qualifying...and busch plus nextel cup races. They want corporate people..who buy sweets..and big dollar tickets...and give out money because they need a tax break. The victory lane deal..****s. Jeff..which..im not a Jeff Gordon fan..but all he wanted to do..was kiss the bricks...kept if g rated with no tongue action..and have some fun. Spontaneous fun. Like Todd said..its all staged..we want you to get out of the car..act..surprised..elated..make damn sure..you dont block sponsors signs..getting out of the car though...tisk tisk..lol. And i too..havent watched races too much..this bumping..shovng people around..cause they can..isnt racing. What Casey Mears..and Johnny Sauter in the truck race did last week..that isnt racing. its using your vehicle to push people away from you and thats not right. And yes..support your local track..better racing..less money invlved. And shows run mostly smoothly. Im also a nascar sovenoir collector..but..i havent bought a piece in 2 yrs..except Richard Petty stuff..because of all this.

It's all gotten way out of hand, they need to have victory lane ON the victory line like the local dirt tracks & let the drivers have their moment, say what they wish on the microphone, they can verbaly thank their sponsors and whoever & leave it at that.

Green Eyes

Back