Need A Sportsman Ride for Sunday

Can anybody help I am looking for a ride for Tri-city for sundays sportsman special for Greg Kimmons currently third in UMP points. Our car is not legal at tri-city.This is our last chance to gain points.We will bring tires,fuel and car owner keeps all purse money and tires when we are done.We would like to see the UMP points be settled on the track not the rule book.I can be reached at 217-971-6056 thanks in advance Wayne Taylor

whats not legal on his car,,how hard is it to put a 2 bbl on the car or if he runs a bert add wght?

Why should anybody help this guy?

Because it was the RIGHT thing to do.

I just wanted everyone to know that we could not have met a nicer bunch of people, than we did on Sunday. Greg came down from the Springfield Il. area on Sunday morning and looked over the car. Got to the track and from the get go with a pill pick of #54 out of a possible 75, it wasn't going to be easy to get to the front. Started in the last heat 4th row outside. With only 2 laps of hots laps, in the heat he was still getting the feel of the car when there was a spin in turn 1&2, Greg tried to avoid it, but to no avail and made contact with the car that spun, he kept on going but TCS rule is you make body contact of anykind, you go to the rear. Anyway in trying to aviod the crash in front of him, Greg lost the clutch. Ironicly, we had loaned out our spare clutch to help someone else make the show at TCS the weekend before SO no spare.
Also thanks to Pat Chalmers for the use of the one18 trying to get Greg into the feature... Good Luck to Greg and his crew next year.

I guess the old adage "nice guys do finish last" holds true. At least Sunday it did.

Pat, Debbie and Scott Drew

Well it is just to bad that UMP can't get on the same page with the sportsman class as they are with the Late Models and Mods. Those two classes don't have a problem going to different tracks and competing. AND the sportsman class shouldn't either. With a 40 car feild on Sunday and I am sure there will be more next Sunday at Peavely that should tell UMP something. Greg couldn't race his car because it didn't fit into the Rule book so to speak. Sunday Kevin did allowed triple disk clutches and bert transmissions. If allied cars are so close to being competive with the smaller cubic inch, as apposed to the rumored 420 and 430's that ran on Sunday. So what was the BIG deal... don't beat me up on this one I DID say RUMORED...LOL. And if there not stop bragging about it and acting like the BIG man on campus...I do know for a FACT that OUR motor is UNDER the 400 cubic inch limit coming in at a ...392 ci....
Not taking anything away from Troy Nagear , he did start on the front row of his heat and the feature... He held on waiting for Dennis Wernle to drift and make his move to the bottom...It was a good race, just wish we could have gotten Greg into the feature. A lower pill draw could have helped...Like sportsmanfan said in his post they didn't want to lose just because of the rule book.

Come on UMP get it together. Same rule book ..SAME page...

Momma Drew

Thanks

I want to thank Pat,Debbie and Scott Drew for the use of the sportsman car last Sunday at Tri-City, it's a great car, good luck next year in it.

I also want to thank Pat Chalmers for letting me use his car when the clutch went out of Scott's car. You all are great for helping me out.

Pat: thanks for the offer of your car for this Saturday at Pevely but unfortunately I had made a prior commitment to run at a different track on Saturday night, good luck and I hope the suggestions that Wayne offers help you out.

Greg....

the only problem with the same rule book same page deal is it is going to cost some racers some money. to change my sportsman that is legal in central il to your guys rules will cost some money.
1. new tires and rims
2. new ring and pinions- our tires now roll out bigger than the e-mod
3. move the engine forward= new driveshaft
4. move the wheel base.
i dont have the answer for this whole deal. but i do know this. if we have to change our cars it will cost us a lot of money. and some guys are racing on a shoestring budget anyway. i have talked to a lot of the guys up here and a lot of them dont race for UMP national points. they race at a couple of tracks and are happy with that. they dont want to change, they cant afford to change. some will have to quit.
Greg you guys are the exception. i think its great what you guys have accomplished this year. and i appreciate the help i have received from your team.
if they change the rules i will find a way to race, i always have. but for myself and my brother and some of the other guys it would be better if they just leave us alone in central il and dont change the rules. JMO

Each track does not have to race ump sportsman. The whole purpose of ump is to get the rules together. The same size tires are an absolute must, you need new every year anyway. I would allow up to 10" wheels on e-mods, they should last longer on 10". A bert trans should also be allowed, stock tranny's are getting harder to come by and I have more in my trans, clutch, flywheel than you can buy a bert for. I would leave a wheel base rule for 2008 and maybe then put extra weight for anything shorter than 108". A 500 2bbl with a no go gauge rule for easy tech should also be put in for 2007. Visible all steel stock on the engine would be a good engine rule that is easy to tech if you run a 2 bbl. That would make a good start. Kenny

Back