Need expert help on Profile steering box

TheBigWheel

Hi Guys,

I have been restoring a old center steer modified (late '60's), it has a Profile Power Steering box. After getting the old buggy running and terrorizing my neighborhood, checking the brakes, steering, etc. Loading on the hauler, I felt the steering develop a lot of free-play, almost 1/2 turn. What the...

Does anyone out there know of someone that knows their way around a Profile box that could help me with this?

Or even a manual, parts break down sheet, etc.

Thanks, Jamie

profile center steer box.jpg

I hate bing! Wrong link..sorry. but i think the inside was packed in grease from the factory. Wondering if it needs repacked. did it sit for along time???

Thanks for the reply, racin90

There is no grease fitting or plug like a manual box for filling with grease. (?)

Man, you were close with the Dodge diesel truck diagram. I did find a photo by photo of rebuilding a Saginaw power steering box, very similar architecture to the Profile box. And I would think that Profile would source parts from a OEM box to save manufacturing all the bits themselves.

I think the last time the old mod raced was only 2 or 3 years ago. It was using a Saginaw power steering pump which was leaking, and the hydraulic lines were nasty with just hose clamps with a number of splices. I replaced all the pluming with new pro-assembled lines and a Sweet power steering pump and reservoir. When I fired it up and drove it around it worked great. Going up the ramp to load up, it went loose.

Would it be possible to blow out a 0 ring now getting high PSI? Bicknell's sells complete 0 ring sets for this unit.

Of course I'm hoping it's not a broken tooth or some other nasty thing

I have emailed Jim Alley at Profile but have not received a response, plus I would prefer a local to check it out and not have to send it to Florida.

Here is an interesting link to another of Profile's lines of business.

http://www.profileracing.com/

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Back