need help on a transmisson ?

sam69

can you tell me how to check the gears in a 3 speed.i need to no whats in 2nd. thanks Sam

3 speed ratio

Put a mark on the input shaft and a mark on the bearing cover. Put a mark on the tail shaft and a mark on the output shaft. Put the tranny in second gear and turn the input shaft one turn. Watch the tailshaft to see how many times the mark goes around, it should go around one whole turn and then part of another turn. Or you might turn the output shaft it is one or the other I forget until I do it a couple of times you will know when you do it yourself.( I don' think it matters).
Saganaw 3 speed: 1 1/2 turns= 1.50, just past half way= 1.68, just past 1 3/4 turns= 1.84, then almost 2 turns= 1.89.
Muncie 3 speed: just past 1 1/2 turns=1.57, 1 3/4 turns=1.75.

The only difference between a saganaw and a muncie is the housing on the muncie is larger.

The input shaft of both trannys may have rings cut into them if they are not wore off.
Saganaw: 0 lines 1.68, 1 line 1.50, 2 lines 1.84, 3 lines 1.89
Muncie: 0 lines 1.75, 1 line 1.57 You can't always go by the rings on the input shaft because the tranny could have been rebuilt with different parts.
I hope this helps out.

Back