new class?????

hound--I will drive you can ride up top LOL
I 've seen you drive lol not sure the top guy has the gas pedal or what now in austraila they do it differently the top guy is upside down seen it on top gear on bbc America not the copy cat

I've been to that track, Mildenhall Stadium, to see Banger racing. But they didn't run that class back then. The ASBO you see on that one car stands for Anti-Social Behavior Order, it's kind of like you are a juvenile delinquent so in court they place you under an ASBO, if you keep getting in trouble then the punishment gets more serious.

Banger racing is just that, the idea isn't so much to win the race but to crash everyone else out while racing. Gotta love the NHS (National Health Service) socialized single payer medicine, these guys don't have to worry about paying for health care so crashing a bunch of times doesn't concern them. It's kind of a cross between dirt track and demo derby.

Last edited:
Hey, Champ Car, when did you visit Mildenhall Stadium? Did you go to any other tracks, Coventry, Hednesford, Birmingham...? to name a few. Did you ever see BriSCA Stock Car Racing F1 cars racing? National Hot Rods? I was in the UK 3 times, ('78, '80, '89) to race stock cars, and have visited many more times. (hopelesss Anglophile) They is a very active oval track scene in England from the crazy bangers to high powered open wheel modifieds, now even a wing sprint car traveling show. My forum photo show me racing in the '78 BriSCA stock car world championship, 40,000 people at Belle-Vue Stadium, Manchester, England. It had a 454 big block, hell of a lot of power for the skinny tires of the day.

Hey, Champ Car, when did you visit Mildenhall Stadium? Did you go to any other tracks, Coventry, Hednesford, Birmingham...? to name a few. Did you ever see BriSCA Stock Car Racing F1 cars racing? National Hot Rods? I was in the UK 3 times, ('78, '80, '89) to race stock cars, and have visited many more times. (hopelesss Anglophile) They is a very active oval track scene in England from the crazy bangers to high powered open wheel modifieds, now even a wing sprint car traveling show. My forum photo show me racing in the '78 BriSCA stock car world championship, 40,000 people at Belle-Vue Stadium, Manchester, England. It had a 454 big block, hell of a lot of power for the skinny tires of the day.
I didn't go to any of those other tracks, only Mildenhall. Knew a couple guys when I was based in the UK in the Air Force who got into it, well, for a couple months, until the chain of command let them know it wasn't an activity they should be participating in for a bunch of reasons.

I lived in the UK for about 15 years (3 years AF, 12 as a civilian) and I was really into F1 and open wheel Formula Series racing while I was there, F1, F3, F3000, Formula Ford, Formula Palmer Audi and some BTCC thrown in for good measure. I've been to Silverstone many times to watch F1 testing sessions, seen the likes of Villenueve, Hill, Alesi, Moreno, Berger, etc. My single most vivid memory is being at the grandstand fence at the end of the Luffield complex and looking right down into the cockpit at Villeneuve negotiating his way out of the final turn and onto the main straight near the pit entrance. He was on it pretty hard and the back end kicked to the left a little when he got on it. He couldn't have been more than 20 feet away though.

I went to Donington many times as well, and Brand's Hatch and Snetterton a few times to see a lot of different kinds of racing, mostly open wheel stuff and support classes. I've seen some historic F1 stuff too, that was pretty interesting when they bring out the old 70's cars with the big tires and no wings.

In all of it though, I never went to the British GP. The A43 that leads to the track is 2 lanes in, 2 lanes out, and when I was living there the traffic jams on race day were legendary with Hill and Mansell racing in F1. All I ever heard was it took hours to get anywhere near the track on raceday, and hours to get out and it was an expensive day. So I always thought "I'll go next year" and just never made it.

I also knew some guys who got into grass tracking, and that was pretty crazy stuff. Especially at the upper end, where they remount the engine toward the rear of the car and put the driver in front of it. Some interesting contraptions, no doubt. It looked like fun, but all that stuff is a rich man's game over there. You had to have money to do it, and most working folks I knew didn't have enough spare change once the bills were paid to afford it.

Hey DH,

There is one key difference in mind set for health care between the UK (and other European nations) and America. With the devastation and horrors of living through WII, at the end of the conflict the humanitarian thought of the survivors was, health care is a basic human right, not to be denied to anyone. In the UK the National Health Service was started. How is paid for? Tax, a cost spread to everyone, that is cheaper that paying for health insurance as we do. And health insurance companies hire people who’s job it is to NOT pay customers for their health care. And what happens to the people how don’t have insurance? We pay for it with our taxes. The USA considers itself a compassionate county and spare no expense to save a single soldier (as it should). But health care for all, afraid not. Health insurance companies big money propaganda and government lobbyists have taken care of that.

Champ car,

I had a ride for a grass track car in Wales, Ford Cortina with the radiator mounted in the back seat, the dirt and grass build up left no room for air to through! Car broke. Can you imagine some farmer around here letting someone set up a track and have a car race on one of his fields!!

I was one lucky little kid, my parents were avid motorsports enthusiasts. I was spectator for all forms of racing. I started out in sport car racing but found I could get much more bang for the buck racing oval track. Growing up in California I went to some GP races, and followed Can Am, Trans AM, NASCAR (back in the days when Dan Gurney beat the good ‘ol boys at Riverside.) USAC champ trail, Indy 500, watching closely the transformation from the roadsters to the rear engine invasion. With my journeys to the UK, visited Aintree, Silverstone, Goodwood, Donington, (Great museum.) most of the time for historic racing. The Goodwood Revival is complete sensory overload, not only priceless racing cars being driven full tilt, the place looks like in did 60 years ago (Like Belle-Clair Speedway, ha!) and the spectators dress up in vintage attire making the picture complete. Currently having fun in a vintage modified, a number of years back still oval racing I wanted to get back in to road racing. 20 years ago I restored a English 1959 Royal Enfield powered, Berkeley B95 sports car (one of some 80 built). Can you imagine racing with ’50 Ferrari’s, Maserati’s, Osca’s and the many specials of the day. For a racing history nut like me it was/is nirvana. The premier vintage sport car event in the US is the Monterey HIstorics, I have races in it many times. As a driver in this event I have had the opportunity to meet and talk with many of my childhood heroes, Fangio, Moss, Phil Hill, Shelby, etc. I feel very fortunate to have auto racing as part of my life, even with a some broken bones.

Hey DH,

There is one key difference in mind set for health care between the UK (and other European nations) and America. With the devastation and horrors of living through WII, at the end of the conflict the humanitarian thought of the survivors was, health care is a basic human right, not to be denied to anyone. In the UK the National Health Service was started. How is paid for? Tax, a cost spread to everyone, that is cheaper that paying for health insurance as we do. And health insurance companies hire people who’s job it is to NOT pay customers for their health care. And what happens to the people how don’t have insurance? We pay for it with our taxes. The USA considers itself a compassionate county and spare no expense to save a single soldier (as it should). But health care for all, afraid not. Health insurance companies big money propaganda and government lobbyists have taken care of that.
The two countries are seeking similar changes in their health care systems; they both want:
  • to get better value-for-money from health-care expenditures
  • to get doctors, health-care institutions, and patients to focus on quality and adopt value-enhancing behaviours
  • to control health care expenditure growth to sustainable levels. Ideally, to set health expenditure increases to match GDP (gross domestic product) growth.
The two authors, Professor David Blumenthal of Harvard University, USA, and Dr. Jenniffer Dixon, of the Nuffield Trust, UK, stress that in technology, organization and financing, the two nations could learn a a lot from each other.

Dr. Dixon said:

"Comparing health reforms in the USA and England seems to be an unlikely project: many people in both countries view the other as having a pariah health system that is not to be copied in any circumstance.

But both countries are under pressure to get more value out of health care spending and reduce growth in expenditure to sustainable levels, and are consequently experimenting with new ways to encourage clinicians, patients, and institutions to help achieve this."
Blumenthal and Dixon analyze the main features of the two countries' health care systems, pointing out where expertise in each nation could be valuable for the other.

Two examples below show how the USA and the UK could benefit from sitting together and using each other's expertise:
  • Assessing spending growth - the transparency and analytical rigour which is required in American to assess spending growth could help English health care officials, who predict a £20 billion ($30 billion) shortfall by the end of 2015.

The authors describe how the shortfall was calculated as generally "opaque and unchallenged".
  • Universal electronic health care records - creating a system which links hospital inpatient to outpatient care records electronically has been "a struggle" in American. The USA could learn from the UK in this area. see both have problems

Back