New southeast MO dirt track

I found this story on www.semosportsweb.com I beleive it was written by Jamie Hall. I thought I would post it on here for everyone else to see.

But just a few miles away, Rick Donnell is putting the finishing touches on an oval dirt track that could be ready for stock car racing within a few weeks.

The track, 3 miles west of Doniphan on State Route A, has been under construction for almost two years. Only a few final details are left unfinished, including the addition of lights for nighttime racing.

Weekly racing will be on Friday nights and could feature several divisions, including open-wheel modifieds, street stocks, cruisers and four-cylinders. Special events for late models, sprints and other classes could be added.

The track is a quarter-mile oval with straightaways almost 300 feet long.

It would be the fourth track in Southeast Missouri to feature stock cars on Friday nights — tracks in Doe Run, Fredericktown and Malden also compete on Fridays, while St. Francois County Speedway near Farmington holds weekly events on Saturdays.

In case any one isn't aware, Doniphan, Mo is over a 3 hour drive from the St Louis area. When you get there you're probable as close to Corning Ark as you are to Poplar Bluff, Mo.
I have to wonder how the place will do as a Friday night track?
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

It looks like Doniphan will go head-to-head with Malden Speedway for some of their classes on Fridays -- they could pull from Fredericktown, but not likely. They'll probably also get cars from West Plains and the northeast Arkansas tracks.

I'll confirm with the track owner this week, but there's potential to run special events for sprints and late models, which could eventually pull cars from the St. Louis area. They've already had some late models on the track for practice laps, and the drivers seem to like it.

It would be great to see another track in Southeast Missouri take a shot at Saturday nights, but I doubt Doniphan would try Saturdays because they would have to go head-to-head with West Plains and the track down in Paragould, Ark., and they all run similar classes.

There's still talk of some local people buying the Benton track and reopening it, but nothing's been signed yet. But even then, there's no guarantee they'd run it on Saturdays.

Back