New Teams, Same Nerves Of Steele

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Mopar's Dave Steele Prepares for Debuts with Nicholas Racing and Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises

Center Line, Mich. - When the green flag waves over the field of the Copper World Classic signifying the start of the USAC racing season, Dave Steele will begin a new chapter in his racing career. Steele, who has become known as a leader in Mopar's open-wheel racing stable, will take to the asphalt behind the wheel for two new teams.

Steele, a Tampa, Fla., native, will compete in the USAC National Midget Series for Nicholas Racing, a newly formed race team owned by fellow Floridian Bruce Nicholas. The pairing comes after Steele helped Nicholas' son, Kyle, prepare his Kenyon Midget Car in 2003. The team has targeted their efforts to the pavement events of the series, and they plan to continue Steele's dominance in the division.

"We plan to pick up right where we left off last season," Steele said. "Bruce has set no limits as far as equipment. Anything I think we need to win, he has provided. I liked the challenge of building a new team from the ground up, and we have taken the steps to ensure that we'll be ready when the season starts."

Nicholas, who had a brief stint in USAC Midget Car Series team
ownership in the past, is looking forward to watching the season unfold. He is well aware of Steele's presence in the sport, as well as the success that the Mopar open-wheel program has experienced. Nicholas is anxious to watch the combination of Steele and Mopar continue to build upon their success story.

"Dave is doing a fantastic job," Nicholas said. "He does all the
fabrication and mechanical work, as well as plan the other aspects of the race team. "We're going to be strong right from the beginning, with the combination of Steele, the chassis, and the Gary Stanton-built Mopar engine. I can't think of a better combination to work with as a car owner."

The Mopar variable in the Nicholas-plus-Steele equation is one that both driver and owner recognize as a mainstay in their racing program.

"Mopar has the upper hand in midget powerplants at this point," Steele said.

"Mopar has the best to offer from a horsepower standpoint, and they have the best combination from block to head," Nicholas said. "These engines offer fantastic reliability, and for us it was the only choice out there."

While Steele has been busy making preparations for the midget series, he has also had to adapt to a new sprint car team. The 29-year-old driver has signed with Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises to compete in the pavement division of the USAC National Sprint Car Series. Stewart and Steele, once former competitors, began talks to join forces during the running of the Mopar Million Sprint at Eldora last September.

"There was a situation of seats opening up with [Stewart's] teams, and an opportunity where a driver was needed arose," Steele said. "I talked to Tony at the Mopar Million, and everything came together for me to drive his pavement sprint car."

While most young race drivers would be nervous driving for such a well-respected owner, Steele is taking it all in stride.

"This is a high profile situation, and it's good to use it to our
benefit," Steele said. "I think this opportunity will be beneficial for the team and Mopar."

While the spotlight is sure to be focused on Steele and both of his teams at the upcoming Copper World Classic, fans can expect a dynamic performance typical of their favorite rising star. When the visor locks and the pace car dives off the track, it's a sure bet that Steele will be taking his Mopar to the front.

For more information regarding Mopar or Dave Steele, log on to
www.mopar.com, www.moparspeed.com or www.davesteele.com.

Mopar is based in Center Line, Mich., and is the exclusive original
equipment supplier of parts and accessories for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep® vehicles.

Back