New WKA Tire Rules

I wish every track around would enforce this rule next year WKA or not!

--They've waited to long to do this--

rules

this is going to be a big topic at the bedrock rules meeting in february. bedrock is ready to stop the tire prep,and the use of cut tires. the open flame rule is already in place.there are 2 big concerns now with tire prep, the epa and cancer causing agents in the prep.we went to and all burris track last year for 2 reasons they kicked money are way to give back to the racers and so everyone didnt have to go buy 3 or 4 different brands of tires. i would like to see a rule put in place to stop cut tires.we need to put this sport back to set up and driver ability.not how much we spend on tires and tire prep.:D

rule

That sounds great and all. One question: How are you going to police the "no prep " rule? I'm not trying to be a smartass....I seriously don't understand how you would REALLY know if a tire is prepped or cut. I mean sometimes its real obvious, but sometimes its REAL hard to tell.

If you have a bullet proof and FAIR way of doing it, I'm all for it.

I'm not for prep although lord knows I've used it plenty. You have to , to keep your driver from getting run over.

Sadly, its really all about prep and tires, I dont care what anybody says. Yes you need good weight transfer at the right points, but man if you dont have some good prep, on the right tires. Your going to be marching straight to the back.

Good luck with that rule at Bedrock. I hope you can make it work.

prep

every tire from burris has a durometer reading from the factory. we can durometer the tires in the hot shout before you go out or on the scales after your race. burris can also give us the specs on side wall heights. if this wont work i am open for suggestions. thanks:D

cut tires and prep questions

Keeping costs down with these rules are a great thing but the people that are willing to spend the money to go fast will find something else to spend money on. In keeping costs down are we all going to have to buy new tires because almost everything we have has prep in it and are usually cut. The duro reading is a easy but with out a chemical sniffer you know nothing because there are preps that do not significantly lower the duro reading. If you say no prepping at the track that stops nothing because TracTac products are designed to be applied at home and then there tire wash brings it back to the surface. Sorry for being long winded but I believe that this is why WKA made this a series rule for now because they know that there is absolutely know way the local tracks can police this. My personal opinion some people will spend whatever it takes to go fast if it isn't tires it is something else. I was just at a race in Kansas with Jim Lovelace and all I can say is WOW I felt like I was flying ( about double the size of Bedrock and I was turning high 12 sec laps). I made feature of 20 karts out of 38 and I got laped buy the first 3 or 4. You should have seen the rigs that pulled in that place. What an eye opening experiance. Looking foward to racing next year at the new bedrock. Thanks Andy Hicks

Stopping the tire prep is one thing, but a lot of people have tires that have been cut or shaved, and if this kind of rule goes into effect locally, all it will do is drive up the cost of racing for those with shaved tires, since these tires will have to be replaced. JMO

I am all for the no prep rule as well, we went threw more tires this year than the previous 4 yrs combined, but if you dont prep and keep up with the prep you wont be at the front. We were also in Kansas with Lovelace and Andy Hicks and im telling you, if you didnt prep you didnt make the race. Both boys made their features and to do so each boy burned up a set of maxxis T3 to do it, and i would say almost all 20 karts in each of their features burned tires up as well. Tire cutting will be almost in possible to police unless you are going to do away with tire grinding. The only draw back to this whole thing is what do you do with all the tires you got because if you have treated them once you wont be able to use them.

tire cutting

it will be hard to police cut tires, i am not saying you cant grind your tires,just stop buying those that are cut so deep that the wear indicator is missing when you receive the tires. as far as prep we where told if your tires have a lot of prep on them do one of two things to get them cleaned up. 1 set them out in the sun for a couple of days or send your wife to the mall and bake them in the oven. ps i dont have a wife so if you want you can send you tires over for baking.

I realize why everybody wants to eliminate prep and tire cutting cause it will cut down on expense. But the truth of the matter is at Belleville cut tires arent going to magically put u up front, prep maybe, but not cut tires! on that note there is no way of policing cut tires if u want to change rules for the expense all u have to do is:

:rolleyes: No prepping at the track along with your open flame rule!

You can only run 33s, there soft enough u will eliminate some internal prepping! and everybody has them.

this is just an idea!

tires

ben what would do with the rookies and the juniors put them on ss33"s ? i think alot of them are using 11"s and 22"s . this is going to be a problem unless we come up with a answer that everyone agrees on . need more input.we could buy a chemical sniffer for prep that way we can check the surface of the tire and pull the valve core to check for internal prep. or we can give everyone are secrets on prep and have a prep rule put in place.then we are back to the e p a and the cancer causing agents. so i give up for now.:D

well i suggested 33s cause most everybody that runs at Bedrock has them. As far as that goes id go for a ss22 tire rule:eek: that would actually be fun and very challenging trying to get the opens and stockers to hook up on those especailly late in the year, im all for it.
There is no way to eliminate prepping cause trust me there are nondetectible chemicals out there to use. all you can do is make it difficult to prep, so dont waste your money on tire sniffers and all the other testers. have a tire rule and make the tire a soft one so its harder to prep. Sure there will be some of the racers who will figure out something to make them faster but it will be more difficult with a low duro reading.
this will definitely cut down the cost for the Bedrock racers, if you have to buy new tires all you have is one compound to choose, and if your just getting into the sport its easy to no what tire to buy.
"there it is cut and dry"
:) remember there are always ways of eliminating cost but were all in the sport to win other words we'd buy a yard kart! with that said all you can do is equalize the field, but the fast guys will find a way to get faster.

?

From what I read it seems like the rules says no tire cutting machines at the track not no cut tires.

2. All exposed flames, “tire boxes,” “tire rotisseries”, tire cutting equipment, and “tire-cutting machines” will be disallowed on race track premises.

And these rule will only be in affect for WKA national events for that race weekend and the one rule cracks me up you must bring new unmounted tires for inspection so the can be coded and marked. Depending on the number of entrys the they will have to set up the first day just for mounting tires.

3. All competitors must bring new, un-mounted, unaltered tires to the designated area where they will be inspected and coded or marked to ensure that they are the only tires run on the kart for any classes run that day. Provisions will be made for competitors to run the same tires in another class.

4. At any given time the competitor must produce their coded tires for inspection – immediately.

Note: Rules 3 and 4 will be rules submitted via the supplemental rules (supplied at track) subject to that race weekend only.

5. Only Maxxis HT-5 will be permitted at Daytona KartWeek 2005. Champ Karts using Burris tires: New rules and regulations will be forthcoming in the future.

We are committed to working on these issues to do whatever it takes to return karting to its roots. Karting is racing. It is the science of motorsports, not the science of chemicals.

I am all for the no preping at the track and no preping period when they come up with a fool proof method of checking. If we are trying to keep costs down then maybe we need to pick a compound for each class to run not just what brand. Could be a hoot watching people in the heavys and super heavy to try and get there karts to handle on 55s unpreped. This will be a hot topic for a while. Thanks Andy

Ben, here is something else to think about in a tire rule. Some people still run the dxa and dxb tires. Kevin Menos won his last feature at Bedrock with them. Some of these tires, if held onto long enough, are still some good tires.

Back