Nextel sells to Sprint

Just wondering if the buyout will have any affect on NASCAR?
Ken Johnson #17

It shouldn't, other than forcing NASCAR to change all the logos and marketing plans after '05...And probably the trophy and some other stuff...just another reason why NASCAR should have avoided a tech company as a sponsor...VISA and Coke should have been a logical choice, but NASCAR wants to show people how modern they are and went hi-tech...And then, when Sprint/Nextel crumbles in a few years, NASCAR will be in the same boat it was when RJR left. As long as the France family is running the sport without an independent board of directors, NASCAR will never be considered a legitimate sport.

It tends to happen a lot to tech companies who get big quick, then over-extend themselves, especially when that over-extension comes in the form of sports sponsorships. I would be very surprised to see Nextel fulfill all 10 years of their contracts. I hope I'm wrong...

Lve50Racing said:
What makes you think that nextel and sprint will fold under?

I read as soon as this deal is done Verizon is going to buy both of them. I saw that verizon is already buying nextel stock.

Bring back Winston. I hate cigarettes, but holy cow. I don't think the drivers, especially Jr, are going to be able to say "I wanna thank all the people at sprintverizonextelnascarcupracing for sponsoring the race" lol. Now I think I know why they need them driver P.R. coaches.:D

I don't think the drivers, especially Jr, are going to be able to say "I wanna thank all the people at sprintverizonextelnascarcupracing for sponsoring the race"

ROFLMAO!!!

I heard on the news that Sprint bought out Nextel, I swear.I guess Nextel will now have to change the name again grrrrrrrrrrrrr I think they should have stuck with Winston Cup. Most people still call it that anyway

skippy05 said:
It tends to happen a lot to tech companies who get big quick, then over-extend themselves, especially when that over-extension comes in the form of sports sponsorships.

This is correct. Look how many sports stadiums change names after the company sponsoring it folds. ie... TWA dome, Enron Park, Fleet center, PSInet, I think the new park in San Francisco is on its 3rd name.

Sprint-Nextel will the be the third largest cellular company behind Cingular and Verizon. They both are profitable and produce a ton of cash so this merger will make it and will not fold. They're not overextending themselves as the Nascar sponsorship is a drop in the bucket to these guys.

Also, Verizon was considering a bid for Sprint and not the combined Sprint-Nextel.

TWA was a horribly run business in the first place. In addition, an airline could possibly be the worst business someone could invest in.

Enron was run by a bunch of crooks who cooked the books.

Fleet was purchased by Banc of America.

I'm not sure the status of PSI Net.

95fan said:
In addition, an airline could possibly be the worst business someone could invest in.
Now. As little as 4 years ago, it was one of the best. Funny how a single event can ruin an entire industry in one country. The only market that has really suffered and not recovered though, is US domestic air travel. The rest has pretty much moved on. For proof that airlines are a great business to be in, just research Richard Branson and Virgin Airways. Now there's a story.

don't know the specifics, but in this day of corporate contracts and their 'loopholes', sprint could very well not honor the prev. contract. it happens all the time. on the other hand, it (sponsoring nascar cup)may be such a big deal for nextel (financial-wise) that sprint may have wanted part of it. ya never know. i do think that the commercials that nextel runs showing the old cars of the 60s and 70s racing the newer cars is pretty darn cool!!!

Tnie,

Branson may have made a fortune running Virgin Airways although I was unable to find a chart showing its stock price over the years. Southwest shares have done well since it went public but check out United, Delta, or Continental shares over the last 5-10 years. You've lost your A** if you've invested in these companies.

If you want to make money in the stock market, don't invest in an airline stock. It's much too competitive of a business. That's all I'm saying.

I hope Sprint-Nextel stays with Nascar. I think it's in there best interest to stay as a lead sponsor.

if any of you have bought nextel phone and have programs through them would have got a paperin the mail talking about them combining the company and i think that they also have more on both of there websites not sure tho

Back