old Evansville, Illinois track

wahooracing

Does anyone have pictures or does anyone know of anyone that has pictures from the old track that use to be at evansville, illinois?

there used to be a quarter midget track.i dont remember when it closed.about 15? years ago. it was called family tradition.

You could try to contact Ernie Stefani, He lives in Evansville and if I am not mistaking he did race at that track and I am sure he could locate you some pictures.

Evansville Track

Wahoo:

You might contact the County Journal. They ran an article not too long ago about the track and some of the people who use to race there. It was located on the east side of Evansville heading towards Walsh. If you are heading into Evansville from Walsh it is on the left hand side of the road now it is basically all grown up with weeds, but you can still tell it was a race track of sorts. Hope this helps!

Evenville Track

I used to race quarter midgets there for years. My father was the president of the club that ran there. Actually he was one of the people who help build it. We were forced out of St. Louis International Raceways ( now- Gateway) and we relocated to Evansville. Which was called Kaskaskia Raceway Park. The flood of 93 took it out. Yes, Rich Stephani was the man that owned the Family Tradition and the track. Great guy and along w/ the town mayor RED! Red is actually still around in Evansville. My father has lots of pictures from there. If you have any more questions about the Evansville track please feel free to e-mail me or call.
Thanks, Mike Cray
mtcray@aol.com (636) 343-8604

The track wahoo is refering to is an old stock car track in evansville. I believe it was running in the late 50's and 60's, and i also believe it was run by the stephanie family. The Quarter midget and go-kart track you are talking about was run in the 80's and 90's, so we are talking about two different tracks.

The first time I ever raced a car was at that quarter midget track and I started racing in 1991. The mayor was the track announcer. We started out there then after the flood went to the Gateway track and then after we got kicked out of Gateway we went to the track that is still there in Bunker Hill IL. Ive got some pictures there also. Thanks Tyler

The track i am talking about is the one the old coupes use to race on. You can still see it somewhat that it was a track at one time. It is of course all grown over with weeds but it is still there. Thanks dirtracer12, i will get ahold of the county journal. Hey dirtracer 12 you coming to belleville this year. Our new car is just about done.

I have heard about the old track you are talking about. My dad and I were talking about it just the other day as we were passing through. My grandpa Harold raced old coupes there. Art, you might check with your Mom but is that not the place Curt Lehmann was killed? I know Mike Finley would know the answer.

Hey Tyler, ready for the race season?

Tim

Yeah were gettin closer waiting on some little things like paint right now. But the Factor 1, Ed Hoeffken Concept, Dons Mechanical micro is almost ready to hit the track. Cant wait for those Belle Vegas races.

Back