Our SN trip this week!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Myself, Mike (RealRacingFan) and my 13 year old son Mike hit the road this week for some exciting racing with the Summer Nationals Series.

We started off Tuesday going to Highland, we then came back home afterwards.

On Wednesday we left for Banner, IL and Spoon River Speedway. This track is banked like MCS and has much longer straight aways. It is a large 1/3 mile track. Seems larger than I-55. There was some great fast racing here. Weber put on a show, especially in his heat, he came from like 7th starting spot to win using the high side. They had 58 late models, 40 modifieds 25 hornets and like 15 E-Modifieds. The one unusual thing is they started like 15 cars in their heat races. It was also very cool this night, with temps dropping into the upper 50's..

After this race, we drove back to Bloomington, IL and stayed in a hotel. We headed for Macon on Thursday and what can I say, that is a unique place as well. Good race between O'Neal and English the entire 100 laps. Korte led the first 50 laps, but it looked like a water pump or something broke and he overheated very quickly. Their was also a last lap last turn pass for the win in the modified feature.

We went back to our hotel in Bloomington and got up the next day and headed to Farmer City. It was very hot as we arrived at the track early (around 2pm.) We watched them do track prep and so on. We watch some other guys mowing grass for a while, then we finally started seeing the cars showing up. Had around 50 late models and a lot of cars in the other classes. Just as they were calling late models out to hotlap, the rain came. It rained for 15 minutes or so and they tried to work the track back in. But it came another shower and they had to call it for rain.

At about 7:30, we got on the road and headed to Godfrey. We made it to Godfrey at 9:30, just in time for the feature events. We saw some good racing there. Doug Wood made an appearance at Godfrey and had a great run. He finished 2nd in the main event to Dively. Also, Dawn Mennel got her late model upside down on the turn 1 guardrail.

We had a great time and met quiet a few people on our venture.

IT is a pretty good track. Very high banked and fast. They had a whole lot of cars there as well.

They don't run full blown late models during their weekly show. They have a limited late model class.

Back