perfect saturday for car fans coming up 9-22

mvalentine

Last year my friend & I had the perfect Sat. First drove to Springfield Il for the Route 66 car show down town, saw the burnout contest & all the cars, then on way home stopped at Tri for final night of Mod Mania. Don't know what time we got home but what a day. If you go to Springfield don't miss, the burnout contest @ 1:30. They also have a Dyno show.Here is from last year.

Mason of St. Charles, Mo., defeated her husband, Damon, and four other drivers in Saturday’s competition, which was one of the main events at the annual International Route 66 Mother Road Festival and Car Show in downtown Springfield.
Mason received a $600 gift card from Mickey Thompson Tires, which sponsored the event. Five of the drivers earned trophies.
She said she didn’t plan on competing but was talked into it by friends Saturday.
“This was my first competition and first win,” said Mason, who is a member of the motor group Hot Rod Renegades. About 50 people in the club traveled to Springfield for the festival.
The burnout featured six vehicles, all with more than 400 horsepower, peeling out over a special platform. The tires spinning in place created a large cloud of smoke that covered parts of Washington Street.
More than 1,500 people lined Washington and a nearby parking garage to see the competition. Winners were selected based on how much applause they received from the audience.
During Mason’s 30-second burnout, a metal rod snapped and punctured the vehicle’s oil pan, she said. The damage will likely cost more than $3,000 to fix, Damon Mason said.
Regardless, she said the adrenaline rush produced when you slam the gas pedal of a hot rod is priceless.
“I’m still happy I did it, but a little bummed out that the engine broke,” Mason said. “However, I look forward to rebuilding it.”

I have no vested monetary interest in this, just wanted to share my perfect Sat from last year that are doing again this year.

Back