Pevely big shows next year?

Jimmy Cummins

CEO, Cummins Lumber Co.
I know this is early, but I heard the UMP Fall Nationals will start moving every year and next year it will be at Pevely. This is good cause then I can finally go to the big sportsman race, which I suppose would be a different weekend. What I wonder is if Pevely would still have the Challenge of Champions race if they got the Nationals? Imagine 1 week of Pepsi Nationals, week off, CoC race, and then the UMP Nationals? Just something we talked about on the ride home.

I don't think it's right if the same track had the CoC Finale and the UMP Nationals...as much as I would love it cause Pevely is a great venue for anything. I wouldn't mind it if they bounced it around alittle bit.....but one thing is for sure...if a track is planning on having the UMP Finale they will have to hold between 200-300 haulers and Eldora has a damn good system going.

It is a completely believable scenario. Although good things are happening with UMP since the new owners have stepped in, hints of strong-arming have already begun to surface. Montgomery County lost their date to I-55 earlier this year, and Tri-City wound up with the date Montgomery was offered and turned down. Farmer City also got a favorable Summernationals date this year. So if the UMP Fall Nationals actually do begin moving to different tracks, look for I-55, Farmer City, Boone, IA (Robert Lawton) and Lebanon Valley, NY (Howie Commander) to be the rotation. If Tony Stewart goes through with the Eldora purchase, Eldora will probably be in the rotation as well. As is the case with politicians, promoters will take care of their own first.

People are always concerned about space at I-55, but don't forget that it wouldn't take much to turn the old dragstrip into a pit area as well.

I do think that there are some serious conflict of interest issues with UMP right now. Boone, IA is going to be a tricky situation though with the biggest IMCA race of the year being held there every year. I had wondered what IMCA thought about Lawton buying one of their competitors. Supposedly he has a lifetime contract to get the SuperNationals race every year (400 modifieds, 50 Late Models, 100 SS etc), but surely there is some no-compete clause in his contract. With the exception of their tire rule I am no IMCA fan. I think that UMP has a much more realistic vision of modified racing.

Back