Pipe kinker????

nate 29

HigginsMotorsports #20
What is the trick to bending tubing with a hydraulic bender without kinking it. We have tried different size tubing and when it reaches about a 45 deg.angle it wants to flatten out in the bend??

Tried greasing the shoe but it doesn't help. I think it came from Northern???

Sounds like you have the wrong dye in the machine for the size of tubing. Make sure you have 1 3/4" dyes in both sides of the bender if you are bending 1 3/4" pipe. (Or whatever size pipe u are bending). Also what thickness are u bending ???? 0.95??

Tom

Yep .095 It just has the one shoe in the middle. tried bending
1-1/2" tubing with 1-1/2" and 1-1/4" shoe but did the same thing with both???

Ok i talked to a friend tonight that said he knows someone with the kinda bender you are talking about. With them style benders you really can't go over a 45 degree bend. But they did do a little trick that helped them out. Buy a bag of sand and fill the tube up totally with sand and cap both ends with a cap of some sort. May have to make a cap or something not too sure. Then bend the pipe and take caps off and drain sand. What this should do is prevent the pipe from flattening at them angles. Hope this work for you. Let me know if it does work.

Tom

Sounds like what you have is a Pipe bender not a Tubing bender.
Pipe is measured by I.D. and Tubing is measured by O.D. so the shoes are different sizes and will kink tubing. You can by the pipe benders cheap but are basiclly useless for tubing.

14k is right you probably have a pipe bender you realy maake week bends also a tubing bender runs about $850 with one dye a pipe bender you can get for $175 ,or so if it has one dye and two rollers it is a pipe bender

I made the mistake of buying one of these also. What has worked for me is to first figure out what the smallest shoe is the the tubing will fit in. This will let you bend a little farther before the tube will collapse. Also, instead of one bigger bend, make several small bends an inch or so apart. I would not make the main part of your cage with one of these benders, but works OK for bumpers, front hoops, etc. I have heard about the sand method and have to had a chance to try it. Speedway has a more affordable real tubing bender, but its still a little expensive.

CAN YOU BUY THE OTHER DIES FOR TUBING RATHER THAN THE PIPE DIES? I ALSO HAVE ONE OF THESE BENDS AND WAS JUST LOOKING TO BUY THE RIGHT DIES

Jd saqared and a few other places sell the tubing bender you need for like 450 with one die, the extra dies are 160 I think. Look in the back of a racing magazine for the places that make them, or come over and look at the one I use.

Back