Plan for speedway motors forward (St. Charles Speedway)

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Dan Burkemper
Of the Suburban Journals

A rezoning request for land including the former St. Charles Speedway was approved by the St. Peters Planning and Zoning Commission amid groans and taunts from the public gallery Wednesday.

The request to rezone three parcels totalling 65-acres was originally brought before the commission last month and met with vocal opposition from nearby residents.

The parcels include the site of the former St. Charles Speedway, currently zoned for general commercial use, another parcel zoned for light-industrial use and a third zoned for two-family residences.

Steve Groeper, the developer and owner of Bryan Road Properties, requested the zoning be changed to R-3, planned urban development to allow a mixed development of single-family villas and condominiums with an average price of $160,000.

Groeper and engineer Richard Francis of Bax Engineering were told to go back to the drawing board after their first proposal last month. The commission wanted two-car garages on every unit.

Francis presented the revised project to the commission with the changes in place. The number of units had been reduced to 352 from 377 and two-car garages were in place on every unit.

These changes did not appease the crowd of concerned residents who again showed up in force to voice their opposition to the project during the public forum. The prevailing concern among residents was the proposed access to McClay Road.

Resident John White presented the commission with a petition signed by about 120 people objecting to the proposed access. White said main concerns were the location of the proposed entrance, which residents feel is on a dangerous curve, drainage and flooding issues and traffic cut-through issues.

White also expressed concerns about the environmental issues brought on by the land being used as a raceway for so many years.

White said the development would invite heavy traffic to cut-through between McClay Road and Highway 94. White also expressed concerns about a lack of adequate parking in the development, which he said would invite on-street parking. White said school over-crowding and school funding would be an issue if the development were built.

Resident Ron Schwartz asked the board to note the number of residents who signed the petition.

"This is the third meeting in the past month we have shown up in force to express our opposition," Schwartz said.

Schwartz said although the McClay road access was the main concern, residents also objected to such a high-density development. Schwartz said he would like to see either a light industrial development, or a less-dense residential development.

"I have not heard one resident come forward and say they want this," Schwartz said. "If you grant this rezoning, then your minds must have been made up before this meeting started."

Resident Doug Reese was the lone voice in favor of the development. Reese said he felt the plan looked pretty good and favored it over light industrial development.

Ward 4 Aldermen Patrick Barclay and Bob Morrison said they had met with the residents and they are planning a future meeting with residents to discuss details of the development and their concerns.

"I still need some questions answered," Barclay said.

After more debate and a failed attempt to table the matter for another month, the commission took a vote.

Mayor Shawn Brown made the approval contingent on no access from the development to McClay Road and only if St. Peters Police Chief Tom Bishop and Central County Fire and Rescue Chief Russ Mason determine the development to have adequate emergency access without a McClay Road entrance. However, Brown said if there is a need for the entrance for emergency vehicles, the McClay Road access could be put back on the plan.

The commission voted 5 to 2 in favor of approval with two members absent. Final approval will now be decided by the Board of Aldermen at its July 22 meeting.

Amazing they bought houses next to a race track then didn't want the racetrack. Now they don't want people to have houses.

They Should Build Some High Rise Housing Projects For No Income-check Drawing Hoosiers!!! Better Than A Diry Old Noisey Race Track???

Can't make anyone happy now-a-days. Too bad everyone isn't race fans or that wonderful place would still be open.

Bernie obviously doesn't know too much about good racing. That place had some spectacular races.

Yea, the crappers weren't very nice though, maybe that is where he was hanging out...

I loved goin there when I was a little kid......I remember sitting on the hill watching Perry Tripp go around the track......Then my mommy would take me to the ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!....Them was the good ole days!!!! Now Im graduated from highschool getting ready to join the working people :eek: And Bernie prolly never went there....Besides we have to appriciate any place that has a racetrack!!!!

it migh have been a dump, but it was a fun dump to watch racing just think wha this track could have been i guess nobody will ever know. as for now, as was said in an earlier post, i hope that it will become housing for the people that have 10 kids and very little income,and see how the crime rate goes up.i think its much worse than having loud noises till 11:00 1 sunday night a week.i really dont wish this among poeple that live near ther since my sister lives about 5 miles from there, but just imagine the drop in sales that home owners would have to absorbe living near theses state funded houses

I don't wish for low income housing there and high crime...

I only live about 1 mile from it.

Thats progress........ Unfortunately it will pass, there will be concessions but ultimately the project will be a go. I will actually have input on some greenspace issues in this development but I'm not sure if I can slip a race track in under the radar. The thing that gets me time after time is the not in my backyard attitude. These people need to remember back when their homes where built, they impacted someone.....

those people in that area wouldn't be happy if it was nothing but a corn feild,and as far a bernie wellwell a lil green behind the ears I would say,you cuoldn't beat the place back in the 60's

OK, OK, no houses. How about a section 8 trailer park? Residents must be unmarried, with at least 3 kids under 5 years old. To keep rent reasonable, all trailers will be at least 10 years old. Oiled gravel roads should keep the traffic at a reasonable speed. That old racetrack don't seem so bad after all, does it?

Rip Charley Bowl

I used to love the Charlie Bowl and Hillbilly hill... Man those were some wild times.. Instead of the fans picking splinters you picked splinters from the car for the next week LOL!!!!!!

Pitdrifter

He lives in North Carolina now.....The last I heard which was about a year ago he was a spotter for Bobby Hamilton....If I hear anything different I will let you know

I was wondering the same thing Sunday Night. Was at Wal Greens by Fox High School and someone had a new looking shirt with Perry Tripp on it. Started to ask but he looked at me like I was a 3 dollar bill. Must have been nervous from me looking at him to see who was on his shirt.... LOL!!!

Back