Poplar Bluff Results and Thoughts

CHEWIN_DIRT

one six MAFIA
We went down to check out Day #2 of the Nathan Rettig Memorial Race @ Poplar Bluff.

I just got home....the town of Poplar Bluff has some quality drinking establishments!!!

The track configuration kinda reminds me of Mt. Vernon. It is a very nice facility and I will definitely go back for some bigger races.

Racing back to the yellow is.....entertaining, exciting, different, dangerous...all of the above. I'm so used to seeing yellow light and then revert back to previous lap, but under this deal...you better stay in the gas until you take the yellow flag!

They use double file restarts....great for the fans when they can keep the cautions down.

Ok....on to what I can remember.

Late Models (21 cars started feature, 40 laps):
1.) Jeff Floyd ($4,000)
2.) Gary Stolba (started deep in the field...was extremely fast on the top)
3.) Joey Mack (led early on and ran 2nd most of the race)
4.) Steve Rushin
5.) Billy James (track champion...12 feature wins @ Poplar this year)
6.) ?
7.) Mike Hammerle (was all the way up to 4th at one point..faded late)

Joe Morris was solidly in the top 10 and pulled off on lap 25 with a flat.

Modifieds:
They ran the consi first. The consi had some heavy hitters with guys like: Weber, Powers, and Floyd. Weber started 5th (I think) and won it by a car length.
Mod Feature (25 cars started, 40 laps):
1.) #99 ($2,500)
2nd, 3rd, and 4th I can't remember...I know Mike "The Hurricane" Francis finished in one of those spots.
5.) Billy "The Kid" Smith (started 12th and raced his way to 6th...and then dropped back to 13th...and then raced his way again back up to a top 5)

*#81 led a majority of the feature until he clipped the tire in 3 and broke the left front.
*Weber started towards the back and worked his way up to about 5th or so and in turn 3 he seemed tight and tried to drive out of it...when he did so him and Powers made pretty heavy contact. After that Scotty never looked right. Then a few laps later he was involved in a 3 car crash...ending his night.

Super Streets:
1.) #54c
2.) #48
3.) #54b
4.) #54a

The #54s were all team cars. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th finished 3-wide.

Pure Streets:
We saw a consi...but all the guys that started made the feature.

I don't remember what guy won but he was from Malden, MO. The white #81 was the fastest car on the track and was leading but was taken out about half-way in on a restart. Their feature had quite a few yellows and hard wrecks.

Two-Man Cruisers (8 cars):
One car cranked the turn 1 wall during hot laps...he was trying to avoid someone who had spun.
Didn't get to see their feature.

CHEWIN_DIRT said:
Racing back to the yellow is.....entertaining, exciting, different, dangerous...all of the above. I'm so used to seeing yellow light and then revert back to previous lap, but under this deal...you better stay in the gas until you take the yellow flag!

They use double file restarts....great for the fans when they can keep the cautions down.

Sounds like they really cater to the fans. How did the racers handle the differences from what is considered the "regular" way of handling yellows & restarts?

CHEWIN_DIRT said:

I love the idea of double file restarts, but as for racing back to the yellow, that's just asking for a disaster. :eek:

Doug,

I noticed no problems. It was pretty crazy when the would be racing back to the yellow. Some guys were able to pick up 4 or 5 spots due to others checking up to avoid the accident. I know one thing....as soon as they hit the line and take the caution, they know exactly where to restart.

Congradulations

A big congradulations going out to Billy Smith. He is one of our local guys at Farmington as well as Mike Francis. They BOTH are excellent drivers that i feel can compete on just about any level. Hats off to our guys !!!!! LD

Back