Possibly Another Cookie Cutter Track For Nascar!!!

m00se

a.k.a. MOJO
NASCAR.COM......

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- State lawmakers in Washington are hoping to clear the way for construction of an 80,000-seat track aimed at attracting NASCAR events.

"It's an economic win for the state of Washington," Lt. Gov. Brad Owen told the Senate Economic Development Committee on Friday. "We can wait and lose the opportunity, or we can continue to move forward in showing we have the best ground, the best crowds and the greatest opportunity."

International Speedway Corp., which owns Daytona International Speedway and 11 other tracks that host NASCAR events, is scouting 500- to 1,000-acre sites in Washington and Oregon for a $200 million-plus facility to stage Nextel Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck series races.

Indy Racing League events also could be considered.

Earlier this month, a delegation of state officials, including Owen and Sen. Tim Sheldon, attended the Daytona 500 at the invitation of ISC officials. Both NASCAR and ISC are controlled by family of Bill France, who founded the stock car sanctioning body in 1948 and built the Daytona track in 1959.

A track in the Pacific Northwest would generate an estimated $227 million through construction contracts and $221 million in operations in the first year alone, said John Graham, vice president of Daytona Beach, Fla.-based ISC. Such racetracks also lead to construction of hotels, restaurants and other businesses, he said.

Construction of a track and other amenities would take about two years, Graham said. He also estimated that it would create 2,200 jobs in the construction industry.

ISC has been eyeing the Pacific Northwest for several years. The nearest NASCAR events are held at Infineon Raceway in northern California, and ISC's nearest track is California Speedway near Los Angeles.

Graham said ISC would model a facility in the Northwest after Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kan., a 11/2-mile oval that opened in 2000.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I AGREE, I AM A LITTLE TIRED OF THE SAME STYLE TRACKS. BUT REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY DO, I JUST HOPE IT IS A HIGH BANKED TRACK.

HOMESTEAD IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHAT YOU GET WHEN THEY ADDED BANKING TO WHAT WAS BEFORE A BORING RACE TRACK.

IN MY OPINION, THE BEST RACING NASCAR HAS TO OFFER IS AT BRISTOL, DAYTONA, TALLADEGA, DOVER, ATLANTA AND DARLINGTON. ALL ARE WELL BANKED TRACKS. LIKE I SAID, J/M/O...

Woooo Hoooo

BRISTOL!!!!!!
Only 24 more days till I leave for Bristol..... Wooo Hooo.... Now that's the place were it's " Racin the way it Ought to be.... "

Everything half-right that NASCAR has ever done is now being un-done. They got rid of the dirt tracks when there was little economic reason to (almost no races were televised) and then didn't bring them back when it became feasable to do it again. They have been slowly purging their schedule of all short tracks. I mean once the short tracks are gone then their entire early history has vanished with it. That with the fact that Daytona and Taladega shouldn't have ever been built. They were too fast then and they still are. Entertainment value isn't worth that much. Add that to the fact that they have been cutting out historically important southern dates lately and you have something that has become so popular that it is destroying itself. I've turned tickets down to Kansas Speedway on multiple occassions and if offered tickets tommorow I'd do the same thing.

Has anyone seen that nice oval in Kentucky? The IRL is supposed to race there this year, and I think the truck series runs on it. It's a fine facility, and deserving of a NASCAR race.

if they want to goto another cookie cutter track they should goto nashville!!!atleast it is a little different being that it is concrete and it is only 1 1/3 mile long!!!

Back