Power steering blow-by

mfloyd

I'm running a modified, and have had a problem with blowing fluid out of the reservore, put a new reservore on thinking a leak, and the problem is actually getting worse. Am I loosing a steering box? pump, or what?

The steering felt strange last time I ran, but I dont know it it was an actual problem, or just mental.

Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

mike we have had to vent our power steering reservoir before,like actaully had a filtered cap..the pump we had was brand new and always seemed to build alot of pressure..its either that or your pump is going south or in need of a rebuild cause it is pulling air in or building too much pressure..

Ok, Ill dig in that direction.

Some nights theres not a drop, and some nights it looks like someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket of oil everywhere.

Do you use reduction and/or under-drive pulleys? If you’re using stock type/sized pulleys and then spinning it all at race RMP’s that will cause power steering blow-by.

if its not the pump then it is either a small leak in the suction line from the tank to the pump, wich sometimes do not leak oil, or a line is pinch ed enough to cause cavitation. this could cause the oil to foam and and make the steering fell inconsistant.

Ok, there are a couple other things I have been told from some people around here.

I was told that tranny fluid doesnt have as high of a boiling point as power steering fluid. As hard as it is worked it tends to boil. Also, someone mentioned a line might be too close to the header.

Everything mentioned on here makes sence. Ive made several changes and we will see what happens.

Thanks alot for the replys,
Mike

1 thing to try is make sure you have a big enough resevoir. Some pumps the resevoir needs to be bigger for some reason. Its not too hard to make one if your good at welding. 2nd thing is to make sure your relief valve is working and not plugged up. That will back the pump up. Just take the pump off...flip it on its side. Unscrew the big nut fitting where your pressure line goes in. Pull the valve assy out. Seen some totally plugged with crud. And if all fails....may want to slow the pump down by changing pulleys

Back