qeustion bout throwout bearing

racer53

mike reagan
im setting up a hydraulic throwout bearing and im having problems, with absolutely no shims on the bearing when i run the tranny bolts in it completely dissengages the clutch. i measure the distance between the bellhousing and clutch fingers and it measures out the same as a friends setup that is using the same deal. somone please help any info is appreciated

mike

What type of Hydralic release bearing are you using?
Make sure the bearing slides all the way down on the tranny.
Sometime that bearing retainer on the trans needs a little cleaning up, deburring or grinding. Once you do that than,

measure set-up height. (distance from bellhousing to diaphram finger)
subtract bearing height (distance from tranny to top of bearing)
that equals initial clearence
Subtract minimum clearence .100"(or manfacturer recomendation)
that equals your shim stack height

Do you have the instructions.? That would much easier. Usually the are pretty good.

http://www.racingclutches.com/content/install.asp

We run a Ram Clutch and Release bearing. There was quite a bit of grinding and modifying we had to do.

Make sure you have the right bearing

ive already done all that everything on the shaft is clean and without any shims its pushing on the clutch i was wondering if i have to find another smaller shaft oh yeah the clutch is a howe

With some of the throwout bears that bolt to the bellhousing like the Tilton ones, you need to cut most of the sleeve off of the bearing retainer. I didn't do this and had the bearing hang forward against the clutch fingers. That was an expensive few seconds. It destroyed the clutch fingers and throwout bearing. With floating ones like some of the Quartermaster and Howe ones, you will need to keep the sleeve on there. As far as measuring to get the right clearance, I had alot of trouble trying to get consistant measurements and finally gave up and bought one of the measuring tools from Speedway. With the amount of times I had to pull the transmission on the car, the measuring tool has made life much easier.

Howe makes a throwout for stock clutches and one for multi-disk racing clutches. Is there a possibility it is the wrong type for your style of clutch?

Back