Question about Sportsman crate engine at I-55

JL89

Over the winter with all the talk about being able to run the 602 crate engine in the Sportsman class at I-55 I have a couple questions.
Is anyone running one? I would assume that at least one person is running the 602.
Does it seem to have the power to run up front at I-55?
Just seems like it was a hot topic over the winter and now I have not seen a thing on here about them.
Im just a curious fan in the stands who would like to know a little more.

robbie eilers has ran one every night this year and done pretty good, he won 1 feature at belleville so far and done pretty good at pevely. Troy Naegar has ran one 2 nights at pevely, won one night and got 2nd another night, and took it back out because he didnt like it. most cars out there are built too heavy for the cars to get the right percentages to get the weight break.

if im not mistaken i think herzog has a crate in his car too and he has been doing fairly well at Pevely this yr i think he has 3 or 4 feature win's already their.

Jimmys post is very accurate.

In my opinion the crate has been very competitive at both tracks. The only noticeable difference is on restarts.

And herzog does not have one.

Good information Jimmy, thanks for posting. So I take it Eilers is the only one who has stuck with the crate engine? Im surprised more people have not tried one. I guess people have money tied up in there setup already, no real reason to switch.
Dave34 I will be watching the restart alot closer now that you have brought that to my attention.

I expect the crate deal to grow as the current motors expire or when it come time to freshen. Doesn't make sense to get a crate when you already have a motor that is running fine.

Dave

Back