Quincy, Boone dates in Deery holiday weekend twinbill

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
QUINCY, Ill. (Aug. 31) – Rob Toland and Lonnie Bailey take their back-and-forth battle for the Deery Brothers Summer Series championship next to a track where both can claim an advantage.

The I.M.C.A. Sunoco Late Model tour heads to Quincy, Ill., Raceway for a Sunday, Sept. 5 show that lifts the lid on a Labor Day Weekend doubleheader. The series headlines opening night of the I.M.C.A. Speedway Motors Super Nationals on Monday, Sept. 6.

Toland won the first Deery event of the season at Quincy back on April 18, a victory that made the Hillsdale, Ill., veteran the first driver in series history to win three races in as many nights.

Bailey was track champion at his home-town track, with six local victories enroute to his first career track title. He also owns a Deery victory, in 2002, at Quincy.

The series point lead has shifted after three of the last four races. Toland finished 11 places ahead of Bailey on Aug. 16 at Des Moines to regain the advantage. He’ll pull into Quincy six points ahead of Bailey and a comfortable 100 points better than Brenton Slocum of Burlington, Iowa, in third.

Pit gates open at 4 p.m. at Quincy. Hot laps are at 5:45 p.m. and racing gets under-way at 6:30 p.m. Mark Burgtorf, another hometown driver, as won four of the 11 series events held at Quincy since 1998.

Toland is also the most recent Deery winner at Boone, taking the checkers there on Memorial Day.

Fourteen of the previous 22 series events there have been held in conjunction with Super Nationals and Gary Webb of Blue Grass, Iowa, has prevailed in four September features.

Pit gates open at 11 a.m. on Labor Day, also the first day of qualifying for Stock Cars and Hobby Stocks. Hot laps are at 4 p.m and racing is at 5 p.m.
The 18th annual series con-cludes with the $10,000 to win Friday and Saturday, Sept. 17-18 Pepsi USA Na-tionals Susan Pallister Me-morial at 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa.

Back