Race update from Benton, Mo.

Jamie Hall

As of 6 p.m. we're still on track for a big night of racing with the Jim Hall Memorial at Benton Raceway Park. Sprints will race for $5K to won, crate late models for $3K and modifieds for $2K. Action starts at 7 p.m.!

As of 6 p.m. we're still on track for a big night of racing with the Jim Hall Memorial at Benton Raceway Park. Sprints will race for $5K to won, crate late models for $3K and modifieds for $2K. Action starts at 7 p.m.!
Some really good sprint cars in the pits. Several strong mods too. Must be from the south, don't know many of them. Should be a good show. Hey Jamie, can they turn the PA system up any? Really low on the spectator side. Thanks

Modified heat winners: Joe Giesler, Chris Hayes, Jim Black, Matt Dotson, Greg Swearingen. Crates on the track now. Strong field in every class with entries from Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi.

Tonight's crate LM heat winners represented three different states: Jeff Sloan of Missouri, Shane Stephens of Tennessee, and Tait Davenport of Kentucky. Four sprint heats up next.

Winners of our four sprint heats: Robbie Standridge, Brad Loyet, Morgan Turpen and Tommy Worley Jr. Dashes up next.

Dash winners: Matt Dotson in modified, Shane Stephens in crate LM, Brad Loyet in sprints. Modified B-main is next.

Last edited:
Modified feature underway. 33 laps, 24 cars start. Lap 1 crash eliminates heat winners Jim Black and Joe Giesler. Matt Dotson and Chris Hayes on front row for restart.

Mod A-main is race of attrition with several contenders dropping out early. Lucas Lee, Chad Kinder, Matt Dotson, Todd Hall all near front but drop out before finish.

Last edited:
Modified feature goes to Jeff Hall. Chris Hall was second with Chris Hays third. Race was scheduled for 33 laps but cut to 17 laps because of time limit.

Last edited:
Tait Davenport of Paducah, Ky., took the lead on the final lap of the crate LM feature to won the $3,000 payout. Chris Vanderbergh was second with Nathan Mays third. Sprints lining up now.

Jerrod Hull of Sikeston dominant in the 33-lap sprint feature for the $5K win. Led every lap. Tommy Worley Jr. second, Brad Loyet third, AJ Bruns fourth and Robbie Standridge fifth.

So the sprint car feature started at 1am? Did you guys a get a bunch of rain and have to work the track back in?

What an awesome deal this was honoring Jim Hall and paying that much in purses!

The sprint feature did start around 1 a.m. but actually ran smoothly. Just four cautions in that one, and no major incidents.

It rained a lot Thursday with more showers early Friday, so the track was soaked. They did pretty much all they could under tough circumatances.

As for the heats, there were 31 total modifieds with five heats, 28 sprints with four heats and 17 crates with three heats. That turned out to be a good number and allowed for competitive racing.

The sprint feature did start around 1 a.m. but actually ran smoothly. Just four cautions in that one, and no major incidents.

It rained a lot Thursday with more showers early Friday, so the track was soaked. They did pretty much all they could under tough circumatances.

As for the heats, there were 31 total modifieds with five heats, 28 sprints with four heats and 17 crates with three heats. That turned out to be a good number and allowed for competitive racing.
So if you ran only 6-7 cars in a heat which is a dash count at most places, how many cars in the dash? 4 mods and 2 crate heats would have been 8 car heats.

The top 2 from each heat went into the dash, and the dash finish determined the feature lineups. I wasn't directly involved in setting the format, so I can't say for sure who determined the number of heats, but it seemed to work fine.

Sorry to burst a bubble but last night was my first night at Benton and not sure I'll be back. I know they had a lot of rain, but the track had horrible ruts in both corners that kept any of the heats from being competitive. There were way to many heats and a way to long intermission that pushed the show way to late. Out of the 24 car modified field only 8 cars finished the feature. Thats how bad the track was. After the hour it took to run that race, the crate feature was not even lined up. We left as we had a 2 hour drive home. I hope it will be better if we decide to go back.

Back