Racing and the economy.

Crate51

hendrick fan 4 life
I was just wondering with the economy the way it is and with alot of places closing down how has it affected racing in the midwest.I know that fuel has been slowly returning to what they should be but it still has to put a hurting on alot of racers out there. How have all you been able to keep going and enjoy the sport we all love so much. Just thought I would get a few opinions on this. oh one more thing is it harder to get or even keep the few sponsers that are still out there. thanks

Here is my input on this. My wife and kids do with out so we can race, They know that our racing is what we are about and that we will do what it takes to make ends meet. Dont get me wrong they do not totaly do with out, but do not get as much as they use to either. Now our program is not getting updated that much and we are not buying as much new stuff, but we are still racing and all the bills are getting paid. As far as sponsors i never had very many, I have my brother (Radical Signs and graphix), My dad (B&B Trucking), Eldon Freightways, and In 09 I will have added one more Allied Waste/Replubic Services.

Now as far as the economy,and etc hurting My household and racing, why sure it is we do not spend as much as we use to, Nore go as many places,or eat out as much. If we do then we will not race but once a month so we do what we have to do to get the car to the track every week and still pay the bills. We are not hurting by no means, but do not have as much saved as we did 2yrs ago either. If it was not for my wife and kids letting and helping me out Dad would not have much of a hobby, and i love them very much for that, as well as the help from the rest of my family and shop help.

Now what we can do as racers and fans is stick together and keep this sport going. Now that you have heard my two cents,Good luck to all in 09 see you at the races.

Bradley Potter
Potter Motorsports

Well said Bradley, Sounds like you come from a family with some great business ties. Glad to see things are still doing well. Coming from a race team with no inside help I have found that sponsorship help is coming harder to find. Luckly we have picked up NTB (National Tire & Battery) as a 2009 sponsor and Hooters Restaurants is returning as our primary sponsor with us for a 5th straight year. (Glad to have them both on board for 2009) I have sponsorship request out from one end of St. louis to the other and not many call backs or interviews. Now being a small kart team we don't ask for as much as most of you guys out there in the stock car world, so my thinking is, If we can't get it, you will be having a hard time with sponsors this coming year. Crate51 where do you live? Just woundering since you ask about the Midwest?
One thing I can say Bradley you are 100% right, In order to keep this sport going we all need to keep racing at all cost if you want to keep your local track open. A lot of tracks are geting the heat from the city they are in so we all need to support our home track to let the track owner know that there efforts to stay open are worth there time. Good luck to everyone out there no matter what form of racing you are in. :D:D

Back