Radio broadcasts of races at SFCR

Millsey

I've had this burning thought in my head the last few years and I swear it would be a huge hit to any local radio station willing to do it. WHY DON'T THEY BROADCAST THE RACES FROM THE ST. FRANCOIS COUNTY RACEWAY EACH WEEK OR AT LEAST ON SPECIAL OCCASSIONS?

A couple of years ago I also had this completely setup with Froggy 96 FM here in Farmington, but it got screwed up and fell through. We were even going to do a Thursday night show prior to the races that week for a preview where we brought in area drivers and talked with them and took questions from area fans. But after just one show it fell through.

They broadcast how many high school football, baseball, basketball and volleyball games around here like vultures. Sometimes there will be two and three radio stations there broadcasting the EXACT SAME GAME OVER THE EXACT SAME AREA..... BORING!!!!!!! I'm not saying the coverage of the game was not necessary, I love high school sports on radio. But please, three stations carrying one game is STUPID..

QUESTION: How many people attend one high school baseball or basketball game? Now, how many people attend the races at SFCR? I'm talking about everyone at both events. Everything from players, coaches, fans and workers at both events. SFCR will double and even triple that number each and every week. But because the radio stations are ignorant to the number of people who attend our area racetracks they don't understand. So we need to make them realize just how many of us there are somehow. Maybe do a phone-in.... LOL... One day from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m., EVERYONE call a particular radio station and ask to talk to the station manager about why racing is not covered at their station "live." If it's coordinated it would get the point across.

I've even thought about going in and doing a tape-delayed broadcast of the races. That way they could be played back at a time "more convienient" to the radio station and the racers could even listen to the broadcast. You could also cut out a lot of "dead time" between events that way.

Oh well, this has just been something I've thought about doing for a long, long time. I might even go out to SFCR some night and do a taped version just to show the damn radio stations what I'm talking about. I'd have to get a broadcast partner, a good cassette player and away we go.

just an idea

Hey I know this great place where you could get say three are four drivers together and talk about the races from the week before and the week coming up. and also have a special guest each week. Kinda like that Nascar show they have on with Schrader , Waltrip , Benson, they really seem to have a great time. And I know some one that would be willing to donate the space for such a type of show or weekly get together sorta of a weekly form or what the heck why not call it DRIVER SEAT LIVE weekly call in show 1 hour of the areas hottest racing news from some of the fastest drivers in THE DRIVERS SEAT

Believe it or not that was one of the downfalls of the radio show. The whole idea was to have it out in the public and NOT in a studio. We were all set up to have it weekly at the Walleye Shack in Desloge, but the radio station wanted to charge the Walleye Shack an arm and a leg for having it there. I didn't see it that way. But I used to host the Driver's Seat radio program at KFMO for about two years. Once again there the program got shoved off to 7 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Even though it was sponsored and I wasn't getting paid a dime to do it, they were constantly making demands of wanting this and wanting that. So I quit...
I don't mind doing the programs, but I've got over 25 years of broadcast experience and I'm not going to get treated like some kid with no experience right out of high school.

yes Millsey thats a grand of an idea...i have thought that a few times over the years cause i listen to the sprints on the net like when the outlaws are at Knoxville or when they are at Eldora.....Whatever happend to that show on tv that coverd some of the local tracks that came on on sunday mornings...i watched it like 3 times then i didn't get it anymore???????i thought it was a good idea too cause farmington Highschool even has there own chanel...but unno...jus my 2 cents...JB

Millsey

The races draw fans from the whole region. If you compare the race attendance to the local football/basketball etc attendance from the whole region many more people attend the high school sports scene. Not talking about one single game but when you combine the fans from all the region games on a given night the attendance exceeds the race attendance.

It boils down to this.....it costs little start your kid out in stick and ball sports.....the family has to give up ALOT to start your kid racing....to get the average grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, etc to the race track or to listen on the radio they have to have a family member racing before they are gonna attend the race or listen on the radio.

I can't even begin to understand you thought about saying you would have to include all the region games on a given night because you are talking about ONE SINGLE BROADCAST not 20. In other words the broadcast would only cover the events of that one sporting event at that facility, if what you are saying is correct you would also have to add race fans at all the other area tracks too.
What I'm talking about is a broadcast that would both enhance, support and promote the race track. How many people simply can't make the races because of work, physical problems, schedule or whatever. How many times have you thought about going to the races but you were running late and would like to catch as much as you can but were afraid you would get out there and just catch the final few minutes. Or say you have to work, wouldn't you love to know how your friends, family and even your own car is doing???
In the summertime the radio stations even broadcast MABA baseball like it's going out of style in various situations. You have a small group of kids and their families involved, yet there is big time coverage. Is this wrong or bad, hell no. I think it's great. But at the same time why don't they consider something similar at SFCR, Fredericktown, Doe Run or I-55.
Not only that, how many sponsors are involved with the cars??? As hard as it is to get sponsors right now, don't you think it would do nothing but support those racers when they can pat their sponsors on the back on the air?? Once again it's just support for the existing where right now there is none.
I strongly believe that a weekly broadcast of the races would completely enhance the racing program and entice more people and racers to get involved.

i think a lot of people would listen, but what i dont think is that unlike baseball you probably wont have people who are surfing the dial and just accidentally tune into the races and stay there to listen. while many people in a given town may care about how their high school team does, they maybe still dont know who particular players are...but they dont care...they can still root for their home team. if you are a person who is anot a family member or friend and you havent gone to the races a lot...why would you be interested? i run into the same problem trying to get people who have never been to come with me to the track on saturdays. even if i convince them to come out one night...they dont know whos who and races are kind of meaningless to them. and i really dont know what you could do about the time in between races...that would really lose people fast on the radio. i would like to know how many of the SFCR fans who use the internet have broadband or some kind of high speed internet...im thinking about adding some video highlights from each saturday, but without broadband it wouldnt be worth your while to try to download it. regardless of the odds i would love to see SFCR get something going with a radio station...even a few new fans would make it worthwhile...and honestly i wouldnt mind carrying a little radio and earpiece to the track and listening to it while i watch.

Ok, I guess I am on the other side of the coin on this. I wouldn't tune into a local or pro ball game of any kind even if someone paid me to do so. But you can bet your life I would tune in for every racing program you can come up with.

instead of going? not me...id rather be there. and so would 90% of the rest of the fans...they WILL be there and wont be listening..thats all im saying.

i like the idea that someone posted. have it like the nascar show where drivers will sit and reflect on the last race, and envite one special guest. have like say... joey, timmy, jason, and tommy talking on there about the last race, and have them bring out special guest for the day kent buckley...i think the show would be a hit.

Back