Redskins Expect to Name Joe Gibbs Coach

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
JOSEPH WHITE
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Who better than Joe Gibbs to turn the Washington Redskins back into winners?

That's apparently what owner Dan Snyder thinks. The Redskins and Gibbs were negotiating his return to coach the team he led to three Super Bowl titles, a source within the NFL told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday. Washington expected to announce Gibbs' hiring later Wednesday, the source said.

Gibbs would replace Steve Spurrier, who quit with three years left on his $25 million contract after two straight losing seasons. The Redskins went 7-9, then 5-11 under Spurrier.

In contrast, the Redskins made the playoffs during eight of Gibbs' 12 seasons. His record was 124-60 in the regular season and 16-5 in the playoffs, including Super Bowl victories after the 1982, 1987 and 1991 seasons.

The Redskins' five coaches since Gibbs went a combined 74-101-1.

Burned out from long days and nights - he was known as a workaholic who sometimes slept on a cot at Redskins Park - Gibbs retired after the 1992 season and now runs a successful NASCAR racing team.

Calls to Joe Gibbs Racing team were not immediately returned.

Gibbs was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1996 and over the years has said he didn't want to return to coaching, although he has retained NFL connections. He was involved with a group that attempted to purchase the Redskins after owner Jack Kent Cooke's death in the late 1990s, and he is currently a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.

Terms of Gibbs' deal with Washington were not immediately available, but the Redskins have budgeted $5 million a year for a coach, the amount they were paying Spurrier. Gibbs also has to give up his ownership stake in the Falcons to take the Redskins' job.

The negotiations with Gibbs were first reported by The Washington Post and SportsLine.com on Tuesday.

The Redskins have made the playoffs just once since Gibbs retired, suffering through a decade of losing despite aggressive ownership moves.

Snyder has become the master of the big offseason splash since buying the team in 1999, signing star players such as Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith and coaches Marty Schottenheimer and Spurrier.

None of it translated to success on the field, however. The Redskins have had four consecutive nonwinning seasons.

The 63-year-old Gibbs will find today's NFL different from the one in which he coached. He led the Redskins during the last years before free agency and kept together a corps of talented players for the better part of 10 years. Such continuity rarely exists now in an era in which players switch teams regularly.

The Redskins interviewed at least three other candidates: former Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Vikings coach Dennis Green, and Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

Gibbs' racing teams have been among the most successful in NASCAR, with two Winston Cup championships in the last four seasons. Bobby Labonte won the title in 2000, Tony Stewart in 2002.

Gibbs' oldest son, J.D., is president of Joe Gibbs Racing. The former coach's youngest son, Coy, finished 14th last season in the Busch Series standings.

My first thought was that he has been out of the game too long and that it might have passed him by. Then, I thought that I had felt the same way about Dick Vermeil. Good luck to Joe Gibbs if he returns. He is a class act whatever he does.

I think they'd be better off naming Tony Stewart, he may get along better with the owner.

Poor Joe, poor poor Joe.

Of course on the flip side Joe can always flip Snyder the bird and go back racing if he gets any crap.:D :D :D

John Barr
The Trashdog

P.S. Bobby Labonte for linebacker coach??? I wonder

Maybe a couple beers and a bowl of nachos with Bill Parcells would be in order, before he goes jumping back into the hot seat with the 'skins.

Back