Reputation Points (what are they, how to use them)

Cowracer

Cogito Ergo Moo
Jimmy asked me to post about this because I have some knowledge of the Reputation point system.

Some of you may have noticed a little green "jewel" under your total posts number when you make a post. You might have even hovered your cursor over it and gotten a message like "XxXxXxX IS ON A DISTINGUISHED ROAD". You may have wondered what that is all about.

Well, here is the skinny on it all.

Those are reputation points. The reputation system is provided by STLRACING.COM so that the forum members can recognize the people that they feel provide good advice, colorful and meaningful posts, or people with whom they've had dealings with.

To give reputation, click on the Scale Icon on the upper border on the post you wish to leave feedback on.

This will bring up a window that says you approve or disapprove of a post. There is also a place to give comments as to why.

Approving of a post gives the person who posted it positive reputation and ADDS to there overall reputation. Dis-approving of a post give negative rep. which SUBTRACTS from the overall rep.

Now here comes the fun part, As your rep grows, you will give out more rep points. You cannot specify how much rep to give. But if you have 700 rep point and approve of a post, that person will get a lot more rep that if you only had 50 points.

The reputation points system does have a few rules that need to be followed:
When you see a post that is helpful, colorful, meaningful, cool, etc... Leave an "I Approve" reputation feedback. When you see a flame, personal attack, spam, etc, leave an "I Disapprove" reputation feedback.​

Dont ask or beg for rep. This is considered rude.​

You cannont give rep to more than 30 people a day, nor can you give rep to the same person once a day. Dont try any pyramid schemes to garner more rep. There are routines in place that will detect that and hammer your rep back to zero​

I am on another board that uses the rep points and the people there guard their rep points very strongly. You have to have a certain amount of rep before you can access some features and areas. The moderators are draconinan and will strip rep away from people that dont follow the fourm rules. Anyone with enough negative rep cannont post without a moderator approving the post first.

Give out rep when you feel it is deserved, but dont give it out freely. Make people earn rep from you.

Fianaly remember THIS IS NOT A CONTEST! Nobody gets a prize for the most rep. It is just a way to allow us to police ourselves just a bit, and take some of the work of of Jimmy D.

Tim

HEY cow neat thread... question what does it mean so so is off the scale? how do you protect tyour self from "haters" some one who will just give you bad post remarks to be a arse??? how can you see you results like 98 % approve 2% disapprove?

I haven't cared one way or another what people think for the last three years, why would I bother with all that stuff now?

Read what I post, and decide for yourself whether you think I am a jerk or not. And just because you disagree, that doesn't make me a jerk, either.

I was on another racing board for a while, until I said something one moderator didn't agree with. Nothing hateful or rude, just an opinion that the moderator didn't like. I said the IRL was the injury racing league, and that part of the attraction of the IRL to viewers was the recipe for big crashes. I said it then, I stand by it now. I was thrown off the site for that opinion by the moderator.

It really struck me that what some sites have are playground bullies who only feel secure surrounded by people who will promote a common point of view as determined by the moderator. In other words, kiss the mod's butt and tell them what they want to hear, and it's all good. Say anything that is even marginally not the "party line", and you're off.

Which is fine, they buy the bandwidth, they control the content. They want a bunch of "yes members," and that's what they have. The moderator of that forum was extremely heavy handed, and downright rude. I recently went back to the site to check out the forum, and the post on the top of the page really said it all. It was titled "Where did everybody go?" The post itself lamented the fact that only 3 threads had been replied to in the last 7 days, and there seemed to be a lack of interest in the forum. Well, to me, it seemed like poetic justice. You disciplined and bullied people right off your forum: well done.

Jimmy has never been heavy handed, and does understand the need for everyone to be able to express their opinion as a crucial part of the reason why we keep coming back. I certainly don't see any need to vote on other peoples' opinions, I would much rather simply say what I have to say and leave it at that.

Anyway, sorry for the book. But it does occur to me that if this whole rep point things comes to the fore, this site will change forever. People will be mroe focused on voting on each other, and less interested in the actual lively debate that does happen.

I didn't register on here to win your vote. And, anyone who uses these boards regularly already knows the reputation of the other active members on here.

SMURFBLUE3 said:
HEY cow neat thread... question what does it mean so so is off the scale?

There are default 'sayings' depending on rep level. I am not sure what # of points gives what saying. Unless I am mistaken, every 100 rep points adds another 'jewel' to your rep level.

SMURFBLUE3 said:
how do you protect your self from "haters" some one who will just give you bad post remarks to be a arse???

Generally the system is self policing. If a so-called "hater" continually hits people with negative rep, he will probably be so disliked that his own rep points will be so low as to not have a big impact on your overall score.

SMURFBLUE3 said:
how can you see you results like 98 % approve 2% disapprove?

You can see who gave you good or bad rep (but not the amounts) on the users control panel

t.nie said:
I cant see the point of keeping score. On me, or anyone else for that matter.

I'm sure that more than a few will feel the same way. nobody is obligated to give (or give a crap about) rep points.

Tim

THANKS FOR THE INPUT COW :D and tnie I always enjoy your other side of the coin look at things.... like you say sometimes I don't agree but that's america ;) ;) to bad ol MNM aint on here as much :D :eek: :D

I think being able to see how you are rated for your posts may have some good points(adding reponsibility), but will probably casue problems betweened some users. I like the idea, but there will be haters and jealous people giving bad points for no good reason, and it will make people afraid to post things others don't like.

in the "user cp" it is right in the middle of the page. it is not on the left menu, it is just right in the center of the front page of "user cp"

this reminds me of ebays feedback non sense,,it can turn into a popularity contenst real quick,,

Thanks Jimmy. I did find that but thought there might be another page that let you know who gave you what and such. The only thing I found was the list of posts that I was given points on. Didn't tell who though. But that's ok. At least I know where I'm being complemented or not at.

I'm back in high school

FIREBALL said:
this reminds me of ebays feedback non sense,,it can turn into a popularity contenst real quick,,
Len, I actually like the ebay system, its kept me from losing money. Not to mention finally getting my item, after waiting a month and a half after I sent the guy the money. So bad feed back is good in that situation. Thats business..this is pleasure..What we have sounds alot like high school... If I have a problem with something or someone, I post it, right there where they can see it instead of clicking a button to deminish their rep..But the system is there for those who desire to use it I guess....

Hey Jimmy, insted of "Trashdog is on a distiguished road." can mine say "No Talent Hack With Nice Equipment?".

Thanks

John Barr
The Trashdog

Your's says "is an unknown quanity at this point" right now Trashdog! Looks like you're headed the right direction. Whichever that might be. And besides, you're far from being a no talent hack. But the nice equipment sure does help! LOL!

so now if you have a petty gripe you can get on here and bash the other guy in 2 places,,like 302 says,,tell the other person what you think of them to their computer face,,as far as ebay feedback goes i have one neg out of 800+ feedbacks,,and that is because i would not bend over for blackmail,,having that type of option on stlracing will do nothing but create contrversy and serve to lower the sites standards

Another Thing,,i Think A User Should Be Able To Opt Out Of Reciving This Type Of Feedback,,on Ebay We Have The Option Of Making Our Feedback Private,,,,i Would Apprecate It If There Were No Comments Left Regarding Me,if Any One Has Something To Say About Me Or To Me Please Put It Right Out In Public For All To See,thank You

Back