Roberts romps to Volunteer Speedway Fastrak Champions Series victory

FERGY69

Roberts romps to Volunteer Speedway Fastrak Champions Series victory

By Robert Walden

BULLS GAP, Tenn. (July 1) – The Carnesville, Ga.-based Fastrak Champions Series made its first-ever appearance at Volunteer Speedway Friday for the opening event of a two-night show, with each evening of racing paying $5,000 to the winner. Shane Roberts of Bluff City, Tenn., moved up from his eighth-starting position to grab the lead on lap 32, and once out front he cruised to the Firecracker 75 “Crate Blowout at The Gap” victory.

Roberts, in winning the biggest race of his career, led an onslaught by Volunteer Speedway regulars in steamrolling to a sweep of the top six finishing positions in the stellar 25-car field, as Champ finished in the runner-up spot, followed by Shannon Buckingham, Skimp Henry, Bobby Mays and Brad Kenyon.

“Wow, I don’t hardly know what to say,” said a smiling Roberts after emerging from his car in victory lane. “To have the run we had tonight with such a strong field of competitors here, this is unbelievable. After beginning my racing career running Legends cars on asphalt, this is my third year behind the wheel of a dirt Late Model. I love this track and I’ve been fortunate enough to win a few races here, but nothing to compare to this huge Fastrak win.

“I really need to thank David ‘Fatboy’ Bryant for everything he’s done for my racing, because he’s very smart on knowing how to set these cars up. Running these crate engines, it’s all about momentum. We didn’t qualifying quite as well as we wanted to, but for the heat race we worked on freeing the car up to where it would turn real well. We won our heat race, and for the feature we just tweaked a little more on the car … and I could run up high or down low, it didn’t matter. I just had to stay calm and work my way to the front. I want to thank my family for their support of my racing, and also Mark Bush and Lynn Flick for helping work on the car.”

The evening began with 53 cars signing-in. David Browning of Jacksonville, Fla., who entered the night atop the Fastrak point standings, pocketed $1,000 for winning the Fairway Ford pole award. Browning stopped the clock at 14.298-seconds to narrowly edge Bobby Giffin, who had a fast-lap of 14.330.

The top-six of Browning, Giffin, Wayne Hughes, Frankie Beard, Brandon Umberger and Champ were locked into the Firecracker 75 starting lineup according to their qualifying times. Kip Pearson, Roberts, Damon Eller and Mays each won heat races.

Browning and Giffin raced off into the first turn door-to-door at the drop of the green, and with Giffin getting out of shape up high in the banking between turns one and two Beard moved into second, with Giffin, Hughes and Champ rounding out the top five in the running order back around to the stripe to complete the opening lap. Hughes dropped to the bottom of Giffin between turns three and four on the second lap to grab the third spot, and with the door open, Champ seized the opportunity and moved up to fourth, dropping Giffin back to fifth place.

Umberger used the low-side racing off the second turn on lap 3 to pass Giffin and move into fifth. Pearson was next to send Giffin back a spot, passing him to move into sixth on the fifth circuit, also bringing Roberts along for the ride into seventh. Up front the lead trio of Browning, Beard and Hughes were battling for position, while Champ and Umberger quickly closed to the rear bumper of Hughes to make it a five-car duel.

Getting a strong run off the fourth turn onto the front straightaway on lap 10, Pearson powered under Umberger to move into the fifth spot. With drivers jockeying for position, action back through the top-15 in the running order saw two- and three-wide racing all around the high-banked, 4/10-mile oval.

With Browning showing the way out front, closely trailed by Beard, Hughes, Champ and Pearson, the event’s first caution appeared on lap 21 after a bonsai move by Pearson. Racing hard down the front straightaway into the first turn, Pearson drove off deep into the corner clearing Champ, and sliding up into the side of the third-running Hughes, sending both Hughes and Pearson spinning.

The top five on the restart were Browning, Beard, Champ, Roberts and Umberger. Mays pulled along the outside of Umberger driving off into turn one on lap 22, and racing off the second turn down the backstretch he moved into fifth. Beard pulled alongside Browning at the flagstand beginning lap 25 to challenge for the lead, and racing off turn two he moved to the point. At the same time, Roberts was working under Champ to take over third. Both Champ and Roberts drove past Browning between turns three and four on lap 27 to move into second and third in the running order.

With Browning’s tires beginning to give up, Eller moved into the top-five on lap 28 as he passed Browning racing off the fourth turn. But up front Roberts was all over the rear of Beard, pressuring him for the lead. Using a strong run off turn four, Roberts raced down the front straightaway door-to-door with Beard. Roberts powered off the second turn on lap 32 to grab a lead he would never relinquish.

Halfway into the 75-lap event, Roberts led Beard, Champ, Henry and Buckingham. While Roberts was setting sail out front, Champ was applying pressure to Beard on both ends of the track, dropping down to the inside racing into the turns to show his front-end to Beard. Champ moved into the runner-up position by passing Beard between turns three and four on lap 47.

With the action “fast and furious” all back through the field as 23 of the 25 cars who started the race were still on the track, Jeremy Ledford, who was running back around 20th in the field spun on lap 48, also collecting the third-running Beard as the leaders approached.

Roberts led Champ, Henry, Buckingham and Mays going back green, and the leader quickly put some distance between his Pizza Plus/Dalton Direct Carpets/Bell Helmets/UBA Graphics/RaceQuest Motorsports/No. 17s Monte Carlo and his challengers.

With 15 laps remaining, Roberts had rolled out to a 10 car-length margin over Champ while masterfully maneuvering his way through the back-running cars. Matthew Daniels, second in Fastrak points, used a series provisional starting berth to line up shotgun on the field. And on lap 68, he spun in the fourth turn to set up a seven-lap dash to the checkers.

But with a clear track ahead, Roberts pulled away as the laps wound down to easily win over Champ for a $5,000 payday. Finishing third through fifth, respectively, were Buckingham, Henry and Mays.

Completing the top-10 at the checkers were Kenyon, Eller, Giffin, Kerry Jones and Wayne Clayton.

The Fastrak Champions Series Fourth of July weekend “Crate Blowout at The Gap” continues Saturday, July 2, with another complete show of qualifying, heat races, last chance consolations and 75 lap, $5,000-to-win feature. The UMP (Open-Wheel) Modifieds will also be in action. For more information, contact the track at (423) 235-5020.

FASTRAK CHAMPIONS SERIES – FIRECRACKER 75 ($5,000 to win)

1. Shane Roberts #17s-Bluff City, TN
2. Allen Champ #11c-Morristown, TN
3. Shannon Buckingham #44-Morristown, TN
4. Skimp Henry #25-Newport, TN
5. Bobby Mays #19-Jonesborough, TN
6. Brad Kenyon #98-Chuckey, TN
7. Damon Eller #i4-Crumpler, NC
8. Bobby Giffin #1-Maryville, TN
9. Kerry Jones #14-Bristol, TN
10. Wayne Clayton #41-Spartanburg, SC
11. Shan Smith #17ss-Dade City, FL
12. David Eubanks #14-Douglasville, GA