Rollout

jay

What is rollout and how does it affect the car?

rollout is the diameter of the tire, smaller diameter to the left side and taller to the right side, the lagreger the differences the lessstagger you have

rollout is the same as stagger then right? and is that suppose to be the larger the difference the more stagger you have?

Rollout would be the measurement of the circumference of the tire.

If you’d actually use rollout in a sentence it would sound sumthin’ like... “That der tor rollsout to ‘bout 87 inches at 12 pounds.” :D

Stagger is the number you’d get when you compare the two rollout numbers.

A positive stagger number indicates bigger on right smaller on left.

A negative stagger number indicates bigger on left smaller on right.

yeah but what does stagger and or rollout do for you at the race track, if car is loose? if car is tight? i like these postings......this is stuff that i find that is applyable to the car and the results do not happen sunday night...

What actually rollout does I put on another post… Quite frankly it’s hard to ‘splain and like I said before you’ll get as many different answers as people you ask. For myself I’m way more concerned with the stagger I get from a set of tires than the actually size. As long as I get the desired stagger…. The bigger the better on the tires is what I shoot for. I’d actually like to hear someone else’s thoughts on that too!

What stagger does? … We can get away with using stagger, since we ONLY turn left here while circle track racin’. Because we’re only goin’ left that means the right side of the car always has to travel further when compared to the left through the corners. (Longer arc on the right than the left.)

For the rear of the car… Since the rear wheels are locked together via the rear end, that means the left and right axels are turning the same number of revolutions at all times; But the right side has to actually travels further than the left. See where this is goin’? Think about putting a mark on a coffee can and try rolling it across your shop floor one complete revolution; now do the same on a 55-gallon drum. Which travels further? Putting positive rear stagger (RR bigger than LR) helps the car turn through the corner because it will allow the RR to traverse the longer arc without causing the rear tires to loose grip. This helps the car rotate while in the turn but not have the car sliding as much. I seem to feel the effect of stagger most in the center of the corner.

For the front of the car… To be perfectly and technically correct the difference in rollout size on the front is NOT called stagger. Theoretically “front stagger” in a non-issue, since the front wheels turn independently and they can travel different distances without any ill effects. That being said… EVERYONE ‘round here calls the difference in front tire size “front stagger” I call it “front stagger” EVERYONE I KNOW calls it “front stagger.” So I guess we just go with that, huh? I’ve never felt the need to correct anyone that said “Kleenex” when referring to a facial tissue from another manufacture. Using positive front stagger is typically a way to wedge the car (adds bite through the center off,) ‘cause it will add a bit of cross-weight. I think I mentioned this before, that by adding stagger to the front, I feel the car freeing up a bit on entry and a mild increase in bite off from the center off. I’ve know of a couple people that will run negative front stagger (LF bigger that RF.) The idea being that helps to help keep the left front wheel “heavy” during counter steering. (I think it just takes bite off the car for ‘em myself ;-) )

Where the heck is everybody else on here????? There’s a BUNCH of different ideas on how things work on these racecars! Someone else needs to post some different ideas for CottageHills!!! C’mon boys!!! Share some ideas!!!!

What ?

cngracin,
Don't mean to sound smart .,.,.but you have told him everthing backwards.

jay,
....Take everything he said and reverse it and you'll get the picture.The SMALLER tire goes on LH and TALLER tire on RH !
....This is based off of a late model type chassis so the actual roll out and stagger difference will be different for different type of tires but its just to try to help you understand. There are alot of variables but usually 4"-7", more roll out split "stagger" (6"- 7") helps the car pivot in the center so use more stagger split the tacker and/or banked the track is to loosen from middle to off the turn and less stagger (4"-5")to tighten from middle to off.(If a spool is used)...around 1"-2" if a type of locker is used.
....Most of your chassis manufactors recommend around 1" stagger difference for the front, it's not as important as the rear just try to keep it close and the larger of the two put on the RF.
....To increase LR bite when counter steering, caster adjustments comes into play.(mainly used to help car turn left)
....If I have a choice I generally use taller rear tires, more traction...harder to break taller loose and the taller side walls also helps induse side bite

Duh!

Geeez…. Not being smart at all Fourbar! Thanks for point out I was having a moment of foolishness! :eek: I fixed it!

SORRY Jay and CottageHills… I was completely dyslexic through almost that ENTIRE thing!!!

Its alright Bryan. We understand. Now go take your medicine. And kill another transmission......... or 2 , or 3, ect.ect. :)

Well Mav… I would take that medication, BUT the voices in my head told me to hide it again. :rolleyes: <Sigh> I swear it’s the last time I listen to them! ;)

Back