Ron Milton #8, where are you now?

Racerrod

racerrod
Does anyone remember the blue #8 sprint car who dominated Farmington, Mo. for many years? He was Ron Milton and he was from Jacksonville, Illinois. He played in a band there and eventually quit racing. Does anyone know him personally or know what he is doing now? He was one of my favorites and a real nice man. He also once beat the World of Outlaw big dawgs at TRI-CITY and they wouldn't pay him. I think it was a fued over being a member or something. Just a bit of history to go with my question.

RacerRod

I believe that he now promotes Jacksonville S'way. If he doesn't do it now, he did a couple of years ago. I remember him when he ran,,man was he hell on wheels.

When I started going to the races in the mid 80s one of my uncles always took great delight in, shall we say, badmouthing--I'm being diplomatic here:)--Ronnie Milton in the Jacksonville stands. Folks, understand that he did this right in the midst of a THRONG of Milton fans. I'm thinking you'd be better off trashing Muhammed in Mecca. How we EVER got out of there without being shot or beat to death, I swear I'll NEVER know:)

We did a lot of Ron Milton bashing at li'l Sprigfield back in the day. He definately had his fans and his enemies. He was a hell of a driver. The last I knew he had an interest in Jax speedway but any Jax. info you see now is with Butch. There is no website to Jacksonville but there is a phone # on a few track-finder websites.

Ron Milton is the Director of Competition at Jacksonville Raceway.He now gets mad at the drivers for doing what he always loved to do. I remember him stopping in the middle of the track,got out of his car and broke the flag mans flag in half.

Ron Milton

Ron was a very good driver..that blue sprinter with the pink #8 was always to be contended with at springfield. does anyone remember his nemesis at springfield. His name was Dean Shirley and he was also a hell of a driver. He drove my Uncles Champ car for a year. that was when they only ran four races, one each at Springfield, Duquoin, Indy and Syracuse all on the mile tracks.

Ron Milton's toughest competition

Yes I remember Dean Shirley. White headed and I think he was an orange #14. I also remember some of the other stars of that day who used to run with Milton. Keep in mind not many could "run with Milton".

How about Dean Adams #3, Dean Adams Sr. #4, Tubby Black #1, Rick Pannell #18 (young guy who didn't race long I think), Chuck Amanti #8?, Standridges, Ken Schrader #39, Bob Thoman #27, and remember Tom Burch?

Those were the days. Can you tell what track I watched every weekend by the list of names I remember? Yep Farmington.

RacerRod

Ron Milton's competition back then

I just thought of a couple more of the sprint stars from the late 70's, and early 80's and thought it would bring back some memories. Jerry Russell #98 and Mike Thurman #44. Those were the days for this little boy! I grew up watching those sprints at Farmington every Saturday night. Does anyone know the whereabouts of any of these drivers I mentioned or the ones I listed above?? Where are they now?

RacerRod

Jerry Russell owns Eagle Chassis Co in Springfield Ill.

Mike Thurman is crew chief for World of Outlaws driver Jonathan Allard.

Milton

Milton could drive the wheels off a sprint in his day, but he and Woods can,t run a race track! Milton and J,ville officials take no advise or constructive criticisim, its their way or the highway.Anybody attending is wasting their time and money! STREEEEEEEEEEET STOOOOOOOOOCK!!!

ron milton is the biggest crack head of them all. me and my dad and my brother got barred for sayin something to some guy, but mark littleton after his race got out and grabbed someone out of their car and ron milton said he should of did that and mark didnt get barred? thats a bunch of bull****!

tom burch is helping his son keith pilot a sprint car,tubby black still races at farmington,and last i heard dean adams jr is running 360s in mid missouri.robbie standrige still runs at farmington some and jeremy standridge runs farmington

He ran well, but did not dominate, and had absolutely no class when dealing with fans or other racers at the time. Mike Thurman was about the only guy who ever had anything good to say about him. I was a kid in the stands at the Empire Speedway (now SFCR) back in the late 70's and early 80's, and I remember him specifically from then. About all the other sprint guys from back then were real class acts, and for the most part damn good racers. Milton was definately the villian, and from others post, he still is as a promoter.

I realize this is a 10 yr old post, however I just found this. Ronnie was my uncle. I grew up at race tracks. Every Friday was Jacksonville, Saturday was Farmington and Sunday was Springfield. I grew up with all if the people who have been talked about in the previous posts. We went on vacations all together planned around sprint week. There were for sure people who didn't like him. He made the races exciting. He had a huge heart and if you knew him, you knew that. Many of the people who assume the fellow drivers were enemy's with him, assume wrong. They were family, they were competitive, and they all wanted to win. Since I found this post, I thought I would share with you that he passed away in April. They are actually having the inaugural Ron Milton Race of Champions this Saturday October 11th. He is greatly missed and will always be one of the best. 8

Back