Roush names Edwards 'heir apparent'

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
Roush names Edwards 'heir apparent' to Mark Martin's Ride

By JIM UTTER

ThatsRacin.com Writer

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A seemingly harmless post-race question turned into a startling revelation Friday night.
During Carl Edwards' winner's interview in the press box at Daytona International Speedway following his victory in Friday night's Florida Dodge Dealers 250, Edwards' team owner, Jack Roush, was asked about Edwards' future.

His response was rather matter-of-fact: "Carl Edwards is the heir apparent to Mark Martin in the No. 6 car."

Roush continued; "I'd like to see Mark (Martin) drive three more years and then I think (Edwards) will be in the No. 6."

Even Edwards, 24, seemed taken aback by the remark. Asked later about Roush's comment, he said:

"It's an honor and motivates me to work harder every day to be the best driver I can be so that when we do come up with a marketing partner to run in the Nextel Cup Series in that car, I can ... win championships.

"The emotional part of me just can't believe it. It gives me chills. Mark Martin has been someone I have looked up to long before I even started racing for his determination and drive."

Friday was Edwards' fourth NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series win. He won three races and rookie of the year honors last season.

Back