Saturday nights modified feature @ I-55

For this Saturday nights modified feature at I-55 the employees of the Valvoline Direct Market have taken up a collection in honor of John Mannelein. John lost his life last August 27th on his way home from putting up banners for last years Valvoline night at I-55. John was very much into helping the "little guy". John is the reason the Valvoline billboard is in turn 2 at I-55. The reason that John got involved in the track was our modified. Every Monday morning as I walked by John's office I heard John's voice asking me "what happened Saturday night"? He knew that we didn't stand an icecubes chance in hell, but he gave me a "you'll get em next week" every time. In honor of John we are going to take at the end of the modified feature and pull one of 24 ping pong balls. Whichever ball is pulled will win the money. John was not only my friend, he was a friend of local racing and he is sorely missed. Every time I walk past that office I think of John. If I happen to make the feature and my number gets pulled, I will make a donation in the name of John to the Make-A-Wish Foundation in John's name. We will announce the final dollar amount at the drivers meeting Saturday as we are still collecting money.

Ralph Wiltrout 5W

I never met John but it sounds like he was a great person! SCP will donate a $100 dollar gift certificate to the mod driver who wins the drawing. Steve

That is very much appreciated Steve. The employees of Valvoline raised almost $200, I will cover the rest and make it $200. With the generous additions of Belleville and SCP we are up to $400 for this. The great thing about it is everyone stands an equal chance of winning, all you've got to do is make the feature for a shot at it. That is what this is all about, giving the guys that don't normally win a shot a winning something. John would really be proud of what everyone is doing. Once again, if I happen to win it, all of the money will be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation in the name of John Mannelein and the drivers @ I-55. Again, if anyone would like to add anything to this pot, see me Saturday (should make the heat races real interesting).

Ralph Wiltrout 5W

Brad Paxson who is the Sales Manager for the Valvoline Direct Market and also was Johns boss is coming in from Lexington KY to draw the winner.

Ralph, The Talker Guy and Paul "the Wall'' will add $50 to the mod deal.

John was a great guy and a great race fan. We need to honor him and remind folks of all the things he did for the sport, promoters, and race car drivers.

TTG/MM

Thanks alot Mike it is all very appreciated. I need to talk to you tommorow anyway, Ray tells me you're going to say a few words about John.

Ralph Wiltrout

Back