Schmelzle Aiming to Continue Consistency During Summer Thunder Sprint Series Show at Skagit

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member

Inside Line Promotions - COLVILLE, Wash. (May 1, 2019) - Chris Schmelzle enters the second weekend of the Summer Thunder Sprint Series season within striking distance of the points lead and is in search of his first feature victory at Skagit Speedway since 2003.

"As good as we feel after the first races of the series I hope we roll off the trailer and pick up where we left off last year," he said. "We haven't ran there as often in the last couple of years as we did in the past, but we usually seem to find the right touch."
4c1abe6d-f1f7-4f8e-8a8b-682d6339627a.jpg
Schmelzle's season is highlighted by a pair of top 10s during the first two races of the series last month. He comes into the third series race this Saturday at Skagit Speedway in Alger, Wash., on the heels of a runner-up finish and a sixth-place run during a doubleheader at the Yakima Dirt Track in Yakima, Wash.

"It's great to have momentum on our side after a strong start to the season," he said. "We're aiming to continue that consistency night in and night out."

His consistency brings him into this weekend's race ranked third in the championship standings - only 33 points out of the lead. Following this weekend the series and Skagit Speedway gear up for one of the nation's biggest weekends of racing. The next time the Summer Thunder Sprint Series will visit Skagit Speedway is in conjunction with the Lucas Oil ASCS National Tour's visit during the 48th annual Jim Raper Memorial Dirt Cup in June.

"The Dirt Cup is like Knoxville to guys from around here," Schmelzle said. "It's one everyone wants to win. Staying focused until then allows me to stay in a rhythm and maintain my focus seeing the task at hand right in front of me."

SEASON STATS -

2 races, 0 wins, 1 top five, 2 top 10s, 2 top 15s, 2 top 20s

UP NEXT -

Saturday at Skagit Speedway in Alger, Wash., with the Summer Thunder Sprint Series

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/chrisschmelzle?lang=en

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chris_57c/

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Walt and Fran Petersen

"They've been supporting me since about 1999," Schmelzle said. "Walt used to run professional road racing teams in California. They moved to the Northwest and I met them at Skagit Speedway in 1999. We became friends and they've done so much for me personally and racing-wise. I told them as long as I have a race car their name will be on it."

Schmelzle would like to thank CS Fabworks, Carey's Auto Body, Rodger's Racing Engines, Rocket Designs and Naake Suspension for their continued support.

Back