School is in session - Chase Austin returns to asphalt

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Mooresville, NC (8/3/06) After playing in the dirt all summer long, Chase Austin returned to the world of asphalt racing last Saturday night at Southern National Raceway Park in Kenly, North Carolina. Chase, who refers to his recent dirt track adventures as a "summer vacation" is excited about getting back on the asphalt bull rings of the East Coast. "Running dirt was a lot of fun - plus, it gave me a chance to crew chief my own car, but I am really happy to be racing on asphalt again. I'm glad I got to run some dirt this year because I learned a lot of things I can apply to my asphalt program," said Chase.

Chase has been racing without sponsorship during the 2006 season, which put the young driver behind the eight-ball. However, the one "sponsor" that has never failed him, his Mom and Dad, made it possible for the teenage prodigy to return to the asphalt arena. "I know this has been a tough year for my Mom and Dad," said Chase. "My parents have done everything possible to get my career back on track and get me back on asphalt. I really appreciate what they have done and I think it is starting to pay off."

Chase chose to re-enter the ranks of asphalt racing at Southern National Raceway Park, most remembered as the springboard of Denny Hamlin's career. Chase, along with his father, Steve Austin, and crew chief David Dale, decided to take on a Super Late Model race with an ASA Crate Motor in the car. With a deficit in horsepower, Chase knew he would need to run consistent, flawless laps to even hope for a top five in a Super Late Model division.

The race day practice sessions found Chase to be one of the fastest cars on the track. The team felt confident that if they could qualify well, it would be possible to finish in the top five. As the event progressed, the sky grew threatening, eventually opening up and letting loose a gushing downpour. Qualifying in the Super Late Model division was cancelled and the field would be set by points. Chase had no points at SNRP. After having high hopes of starting in the front of the field, Chase found himself dead last on the grid.

With the drop of the green flag, Chase immediately began to pass one competitor after another. It was a classic battle; weight and power over speed and finesse. Chase utilized the entire track, those that denied him on the inside, were passed on the outside. By the half way point Chase found himself running 6th. Constant pressure applied by Chase eventually caused the fifth place car to wear out his tires; allowing the young driver to make a clean pass that would put him in the top five. After seventy-five laps, when the checkered flag dropped, Chase had made yet another pass for a strong, fourth place finish.

In his return to asphalt, Chase showed the attributes that won him the interest of Hendrick Motorsports and other NASCAR teams; patience, poise, raw talent and determination. Add to that his willingness to listen and learn, and a strong desire to win, and Chase seems to have the perfect recipe for a rising star in motion. The "summer vacation" on dirt may have been fun, but school is back in session, Chase is back on asphalt, and so far - he's earning straight A's.

Back