Schrader's Top 5

CHEWIN_DIRT

one six MAFIA
On Totally NASCAR last night, they interviewed Schrader as a driver that has raced everything just about everywhere, they asked him to list off the top 5 shorttracks in the country.

1. I-55 in Pevely, Mo
2. Macon, IL
3. The Springfield Mile
4. Eldora Speedway
5. Manzanita Raceway

Gotta love that list...all dirt tracks!!!

Taken at face value, all are great tracks. Very racy and worth whatever ticket price is charged. But looking beneath the surface...

1. I-55- Schrader owns. Obviously a #1 choice for Schrader.
2. Macon, IL- A Bob Sargent track. While no longer the owner, is still actively involved in the operations. Remember, Schrader and Sargent are now business partners in the "new" UMP.
3. The Springfield Mile- Another Sargent track.
4. Eldora Speedway- Without Eldora, UMP would be another IMCA- a large group of racers with no "marquee" track. Eldora guarantees that no matter how badly screwed up UMP has gotten over the years, they still control The Dream, the World 100, and a few years ago, the "Million". Gotta love the loyalty between two senile old men.
5. Manzanita Raceway- No Schrader or Sargent connection that I'm aware of.

So in essence, Manzanita is his favorite track that has no financial input on his opinion. I seem to remember an article in Stock Car Racing magazine about 10 years ago where Schrader said St Charles was one of his favorite tracks. My how things can change when you become a businessman.

My top 5 actually has 2 of his picks.

1 I-55
2. Tri City
3. Springfield Mile
4. Belleville, Ks.
5. Terre Haute.

Montgomery County almost made the list, but it's still just a bit too backwoods to step up to the level of respect it would need to make a top-5 list. If the rumors about possible layout changes at Godfrey are true, I may have to add them to the list and drop Terre Haute.

DA

has it crossed your mind that Schrader actually raced these tracks before he made it big, and liked them so much that when he had the financial ability, he bought into them?

Anyone who knows Schrader knows that money is not first on his list of priorities. The only reason he cares about money is to fund his racing.

T

Oh, and I'd give you my list, but you wouldn't like it... The first three are I-55.

Cowracer beat me to it, but thats what I was thinking too, that Ken is involved because he likes the tracks, not the other way around.

Bob Sargent-Macon Speedway

Bob doesnt have anything to do with the operation of Macon Speedway anymore. It is owned and ran by Rich and Terri Webb. Has involvement with several tracks but other than Bob residing in Macon IL, he has nothing to do with the track anymore. At one time last year there were suggestions to Webb about having Bob and his people come in to help work in the track when there were problems with the track surface but Webb didnt want him to help.

Amy

Back