Setting the valves

J.T.M.jr.

What I did was close off the valves last fall, so now I need to
get'er dialed back in again. I'm an absolute rookie, never had
to do this with a motor..please Help! I don't know what or how
to set the valve lash. 355 s.b.c.,.30 over, solid lifters, crank..
unknown!?? I could be racing this weekend if I knew how to do
this!

Well you would need to know what the cam card says to be exact but i have a motor that sound bout the same as yours so i will tell ya what i do. Now there may be a better way but this is the way i do it and the motor runs absolutely fine. Just tighten down the rockers arms so that they are making contact with the pushrod so the rocker arms will move when bumping the motor over.....Just don't tighten too far. Start from the front of the motor to the back on each side. One side at a time. Start by bumping the motor over till the front two rockers are up all the way. Next take your feeler gauge and try sliding it between the bottom of the rocker arm and the top of the valve/valve spring. ( i usually use a 24 thousandths feeler gauge) Next thing is to tighten up the rocker arm or loosen it till that gauge is snug when you try pulling it out and pushing it in. If you have polylocks make sure to tighten the alan head screw in the top of it after that is set. Go through this process for all of the valves by bumping the motor over till the 2 rockers are up all the way. Good luck and i hope this helps you out.

The most foolproof way to set a valve, is to set it as described by Smalldirt; only set one valve as the other is at full opening. (spring compressed all the way). This way you know you are on the base circle of the lobe on the valve you are setting. If they are both set at the up, postion, there may be a variance in settings between the 2, because of overlap.

Back