Sponsorship Question

Matt22

I know most people don't readily talk about costs. But I was wondering if you guys could give me some info about approx. what you guys ask potential sponsors for. I currently run a street stock that I fund myself and have bought a Mod for the 2004 season. This is my first attempt to get sponsorship and don't know what a good starting point is. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Matt

A good rule of thumb from what I have seen is to accept anything offered and let them deciede how much to give. After you have the sponsers you want give the bigger cotributers the bigger spot. remember not all sponserships involve money.

As A starter take what you can get. as they say beggers can't be chosers:D

You will find very few people or companies willing to give cash to a startup effort without a good record of achievement. So, don't ask for money, ask for help. Tailor your requests so someone can help you out without it costing them anything. Example: ask an auto parts store for replacement parts at cost. Ask a sheetmetal shop for steel, etc.
From what I have seen, the biggest hurdle for racers to overcome is the ability to look professional in their appearance and their racing operation. You need this to relate to people that have the means available to help you out. Cars that look like demo derby escapees do not impress, nor do unshaven and unkempt crew members. Childish mascots attached to the race car and car or team names that refer to bodily functions or alcoholic prowess are also out. You must spend the time and effort needed to be towards the top of your class in appearance.

Matt22,

You’ve been given some very good advice in the preceding posts. Except no answer to your question. Take and use as much of that advice as you possibly can for your situation it’s all good. I’ve got some more advice for ya plus a ballpark number.

Like it or not you have to be a salesman when soliciting for sponsors… your racecar, and race team (including image, like MotorHead was getting at) is your product. I have run into more than one potential sponsor that wants a fixed dollar amount. You are the one asking so you need to have a number ready. “Uhhhh how much will you give me?” Just won’t cut it. (I’ve been there done that.) Also remember it can be a negotiation process as well… Have a minimum amount you’d be willing to take in mind. My first couple of years in racing I determined my minimum more than once by using this formula…[(Amount of sponsorship) – (cost of graphics) = (enough to by 2 tires)] Sad but true, but think about it from a business perspective. How much would other forms of advertising cost them? BTW… I’ve only increased that amount slightly in the last couple of years.

One last thing to think about… adding a sponsor to your program adds new responsibilities. You now have to do your best to give your sponsors as much “bang for their advertising buck” as you can. I’ve found myself this year having a horrible string of luck with motors. I’m now not only frustrated that I haven’t been able to race as much as I would like to but I’m also concerned that my current sponsors are not getting the representation that they paid for. So much so, I’ve made poor decisions to get back out for a night or two. Just something to consider…

So to finally answer your question $300 - $600 is a pretty good starting point. …but like 2gBro was getting at take what you can get… as long as there enough left after graphics and/or paint to actually buy sumthin’ for the race car.

Just speaking from my little experience, I am also in the process of seeking out sponsorship. (aren't we all) I have found that if you have a professional looking plan such as pictures, race plans- where your going to race, how often, etc. It looks as though you put some thought into what your doing. I use a photo album with various pics from building the car, to roller, to complete. I also include family info, and pics since my team is a family deal. I have also gotten a ton of advise from other drivers who say to ask everyone, it doesn't hurt. So far with my presentation I have secured 4 of 4 sponsors that I have approached. A couple are not giving me money however, they are supplying me with other necessities (gas, pit passes, tools, etc.) I'm not very experienced with this but just thought I'd tell you what's been working for me.

Hopefully this will help out.

Back