Sportsman-Streetstock COMBO?

Swappin Paint

Ok lets face it. Neither is setting the world on fire. Sportsman are getting 9-15 cars at one STL area track with a commitment for one more year I hear. Streetstocks/Purestocks well their car counts have kinda fallen in last few seasons also. But they race at 3 STL area tracks.

Do you guys see a feasable way these classes could merge? Allied mentioned it a few years ago. But nothing has come about. Just curious what ya'll think.

I believe in being Proactive not Reactive. Instead of thinking how to revive maybe something new can be the better alternative.

Lets have good logical adult conversation.

This has already been discussed in previous threads from last week. They have already said sportsman cars will be legal to run with us as long as they fit to street stock rules for the front suspension and motor and run 4 link in the rear. It's feasible but they run into the problem when sportsman's arnt stock mount anything really, have relocated upper control arm mounts and set back motor where a street stock can not have any of this. It is possible if they have a chassis setting around and are bored to start fabricating something up.

I think the proposal is to put sportsman and street stock cars on the track at the same time, not making sportsman's into street stocks. Mixing them together so it looks like a bigger field.

I see the logic, but then you still have to pay each class separately even though they race at the same time.

I think you could run sportsman heats and SS heats separately, but then combine the two classes on the track for the feature. Have the SS cars get the green flag on the front straight with the Sportsman on the back straight then drop a second green for the Sportsman when they exit 4. So two greens, one for each class then let em race. I think that would be fun to watch, see how long it takes the fastest Sporstman to catch the SS, if they can. And it would keep them somewhat separated at the start for each class so they can settle into a racing groove before they start hitting lapped traffic.

It is kind of manufacturing racing on the track for people to watch, but who cares as long as its fun to watch. And the drivers would probably have fun with it too.

The original post was asking if the classes could be combined car wise. Of course they can. But it would take give and take from both sides. Which always seems to be the sticking point in these topics.

I think the easiest way would be to transition to the sportsman cars and stay with street stock motor rules.

TCS is already gonna allow weight jacks in rear. Fabbed fire wall and floorpan. pretty much a homemade body. other tracks will follow.

So say they let streetstocks get rid of the floorpan and fire wall make it a one holer. Allow motor set back to #1 spark plug. weight jacks in front and relocated a arm mounts and shocks?

Everyone run a 4 link rear suspension.

Take the front clips and noses off them and call them....... LIMITED SPORTSMAN.

Maybe that would spark some interest with fans who remember those cars from back in the day.

It would also give the racers who been in these type car a chance to drive something somewhat different from what they have. it would be open wheel.

Just some food for thought. It would take some tweaking here and there. But like the original post said neither is setting the world on fire with car counts. what better time to start thinking of possibilities. Stay with the status quo?? Whats to come?

Why does the IMCA stock car class draw so many cars? Is it because they can go to multiple tracks across the country and the rules stay the same?

I do wish I55 was closer..i have 2 formally front running sportsman and would love to ride off into the sunset in one--

The original post was asking if the classes could be combined car wise. Of course they can. But it would take give and take from both sides. Which always seems to be the sticking point in these topics.

I think the easiest way would be to transition to the sportsman cars and stay with street stock motor rules.

TCS is already gonna allow weight jacks in rear. Fabbed fire wall and floorpan. pretty much a homemade body. other tracks will follow.

So say they let streetstocks get rid of the floorpan and fire wall make it a one holer. Allow motor set back to #1 spark plug. weight jacks in front and relocated a arm mounts and shocks?

Everyone run a 4 link rear suspension.

Take the front clips and noses off them and call them....... LIMITED SPORTSMAN.

Maybe that would spark some interest with fans who remember those cars from back in the day.

It would also give the racers who been in these type car a chance to drive something somewhat different from what they have. it would be open wheel.

Just some food for thought. It would take some tweaking here and there. But like the original post said neither is setting the world on fire with car counts. what better time to start thinking of possibilities. Stay with the status quo?? Whats to come?
My opinion is might as well. They are a whisker from where a sportsman used to be and the no fender thing would actually look pretty cool and be a throwback to the old days. Let them hang camaro bodies on them pacers ect. Whatever they want.

Id say that is a big reason. All imca tracks run the same rules. Ump pretty much lets tracks alter rules to their like. That and they have tech barns at every track. Top 3 get teched every week. From motors to actual oem placement of control arms trailing arms ect. All have to be stock location and their rules have the oem measuremnts on their site. They tech tech tech and keeps everyone on an even keel plus oem tires and all 4 tires must be the same size

Back