Stewart declines IROC invitation

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - For the second consecutive season, the reigning Winston Cup champion - Tony Stewart this time - has declined an invitation to participate in the International Race of Champions series.
Jeff Gordon, who won the 2001 champion, elected not to participate in last season's IROC series, which features 12 drivers from various forms of motorsports competing in four 100-mile races in equally prepared Pontiac Firebirds.

Stewart won the season opening IROC race last season and Winston Cup driver Kevin Harvick won the series title.

"With all that goes on during any given Winston Cup weekend, the time to focus on the main job - driving (for my team) - becomes more and more valuable as our sport continues to grow."

"I've never been a Winston Cup champion before and I want to do it right - for my team, for my fellow competitors and for my fans. When you win one championship it makes you want to win a second that much more."

Stewart's first IROC invitation came in 1998 as a representative of the Indy Racing League for winning the series championship in 1997. He returned to IROC in 2000 after winning rookie of the year honors in Winston Cup in 1999.

Stewart competed in IROC in 2001 as a substitute for Championship Auto Racing Teams series driver Gil de Ferran and received an invitation on his own merit last season.

Stewart will still maintain an interest in the series as his World of Outlaws driver, Danny Lasoski, will compete in IROC for the second consecutive season.

Back