Stewart Wins the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard

stlmrn

Staff member
Click here to see newly posted photos from the race.

http://www.stlracing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=854

Click here to view photos from the race:
http://www.stlracing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=849

One of Indiana favorite son’s Tony Stewart wins the Allstate 400 at The Brickyard much to the delight of partisan race fans.

He celebrated his victory by doing a burnout in front of his family suite and then along with his team, he and his team did their trademark climbing the fence to celebrate with the fans.

The win was his 2nd career victory Brickyard 400 victory and his overall 31 st career victory.

“This one is for everyone in the stands who pull for me and have to take all the bull(#$#@) from everyone else,” said an excited Stewart who will loose series points for cursing in public.

Juan Pablo Montoya finished in second place followed by Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch and Reed Soreson.

Steward winning the race was quite a battle similar the battle between Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards in Busch Series last night. Today, Stewart and Harvick switched the lead several times in the last 20 laps brining the large crowd to their feet. Stewart and Harvick were literally drag racing door-to-door swapping paint for almost one lap around the 2.5 mile oval. Stewart finally took the lead with 10 laps remaining in the race. Stewart took the lead and was able to distance himself from Harvick and take the checkered flag.

“That’s a hard guy to race with [Harvick],” said Stewart. “He’s a clean guy. He’s one of my best friends.”

Reed Sorenson won the Bud Pole for the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard with a lap of 48.858 seconds, 184.207 mph. This was his first pole in 58 career NASCAR Nextel Cup races.

Sorenson jumped to the lead until the first accident brought out a caution on lap 16 when Jeff Green did a half-spin into the SAFER Barrier exiting turn 3. Stewart took the lead after the field went back racing. Dale Earnhart Jr. who looked to have a very strong car early went to the lead passing Stewart and led for 33 of the next 34 laps. The most he ever led at the Brickyard. He eventually had engine problems and finished 34th.

Jimmy Johnson, last year’s Allstate 400 at the Brickyard winner, got caught up in a major accident with eight other cars on lap 47. His team was able to do some repairs but shortly after the restart he SAFER Barrier in Turn 3. There was heavy damage and flames came from the car and Johnson had to quickly exit the car.

“I’m okay. The impact wasn’t too bad,” said Johnson. “The flames had me nervous there inside the car and I lost some eyelashes and the side of my face got pretty hot.”

It was Johnson’s fourth DNF this year as he finished 39th place.

Missouri connections: Jamie McMurray, from Joplin Missouri, qualified 15 th. He got caught up in an accident on lap 55 with J.J. Yehley, Kyle Petty and Johnny Sauter. McMurray was able to return to the race but was never a factor and finished 33rd.

“We had one of the better cars in practice [yesterday],” said McMurray. “We just got caught up in the accident.”

Carl Edwards and Ken Schrader qualified 35th and 36th respectively on the 18th row. Schrader was as high as 6th place for a short due to a pit stop shuffle. By the end of the race, he was able to move up 15 positions from his start and finish in a respective 25th place.

Carl Edwards, nursing a broken thumb, was able to move up in the pack and eventually settled for 18th place.

Kenny Wallace attempted to make the field but did not qualify.

“I am really devastated that I’ve missed the race,” said Wallace. “We’ve been searching for speed the whole time we were here. I’ve started 10 races here, and this is the second race that I missed here.”

Kyle Petty will make his 800 th career NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series start today and finished in 32nd place.

Prior to race, Stewart reflected on what it would mean to win a second race.

“It’s such a cool feeling seeing all the people pulling for us here,” said Tony Stewart “They know how much this place means to me, and I think that just gets us more support here,”

Click here to view pre-race photos:
http://www.stlracing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=848

Back