Tatnell Looks Forward to Bud Night at Knoxville Raceway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
KNOXVILLE, IA (April 24) – Brooke Tatnell can hardly wait for Saturday’s World of Outlaws Budweiser Night race at Knoxville Raceway.

The three-time defending Australian Sprintcar champion holds Knoxville Raceway’s single-lap record and Woodward Racing Crew Chief Troy Renfro has installed a new engine in the #2 Volcano Joe’s Coffee Schnee. After failing to qualify for the “A” Feature in two of the last three World of Outlaws events, the team knows that now is the time to get back on track and “The Home of the Nationals” is the place to do it.

“We got a new motor from Don Ott this week, so we’ll have more of a baseline of where we were before,” Tatnell said Tuesday. “Right now, we need to run with basics and things we know. We don’t have time to be experimenting and figuring things out.

“Going to Knoxville is good for us. We’ve always been fast there, but we need to win races. I hold the track record there, but I’d give up a track record for a win any day of the week, especially right now. We need to get some good results on the board. The team’s confidence has been knocked about, but Larry (Woodward, the team’s owner) is still there jumping up and down with his pom-poms and his skirt on. It’s amazing how he’s standing by us. He knows I know how to drive a racecar and Troy knows how to wrench a racecar. We’re capable of winning races and he knows that, so we just have to get it done.”

Tatnell has “gotten it done” many times at Knoxville Raceway. He raced into third place from outside the fourth row in the World of Outlaws main event last June 23rd, passing Daryn Pittman, Clint Garner and Jac Haudenschild during the first two laps and getting by pole-sitter Billy Alley and Jason Solwold late. Tatnell set Knoxville Raceway’s qualifying standard with a 14.407-second, 124.939-MPH, lap around the hallowed half-mile oval last May 6th. He finished 11th at the 2005 Knoxville Nationals. The five-time World Series Sprintcar champion paced the qualifying session and finished 10th in the main event at Knoxville Raceway on June 24, 2005.

“We’ve never really put together a great week at the Nationals, but we’ve always been pretty consistent at Knoxville,” Tatnell said. “I don’t think we’re going to see the track the way we’re used to seeing it, where it’s heavy. They’re letting it slick off so it’s wider and faster on the bottom. Our focus right now is to just starting hitting on all eight cylinders.”

Erupt with premium Kona roast Volcano Joe’s Coffee. Larry Woodward’s fine roasted Arabica coffee is 100% Hawaiian made. It’s “the racers’ choice.”

Woodward Racing is also sponsored by the Champ Car World Series, Champion Rescue Tools, Donovan Engineering, Steve Mox Trucking, Schnee Chassis and Shaver Specialties.

Back